Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: double arch extension  (Read 1071 times)

RCKT_RCCN

• Thru Hiker
double arch extension
« on: September 13, 2019, 09:29:13 AM »

Anybody ever successfully crossed Double Arch ridge from the end of the gravel road out to the arch? I know there are some legit scrambles involved, but is it possible? Basically I'm wondering where the breakdowns are. If you're coming from the end of the gravel how far north can you get? If you're starting on top of Double Arch, how far south can you get? Can you get above Tall Arch? Maybe it's been addressed before, didn't see it in a quick search. Feel free to pm me if you prefer  (if it's working!).

EDIT: I actually asked about this very thing four years ago in a previous thread, and you all responded affirmatively. LOL my memory. But I would still like a little more info if possible. :)

You can scramble up the ridge over tall arch.  There is at least one flat open space used for camping up on top.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 09:34:52 AM by RCKT_RCCN »

jacksan

• Over Nighter
  • I Love KY!!!
    • RRG Topo for Android and Garmin
Re: double arch extension
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 10:59:49 PM »

Did it a few times years ago. On the map the yellow dot marks a small drop off, to avoid it go east to a narrow wash marked by the 2 dots - the wash was full of slippery leaves when wet, we always brought a little rope. That was the only challenging obstacle I remember.
I "think" Tall Arch would be near the blue dot.
creek.linkpc.net/images/gorge/DoubleArch.jpg
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 07:08:41 PM by jacksan »
Gorgin' since '74

RCKT_RCCN

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 05:38:04 PM »

Jacksan thanks so much for the follow-up! So would you compare the rest of the ridgeline to some of the more manageable scrambles around the gorge? Plenty of hand and foot holds, small ledges?

jacksan

• Over Nighter
  • I Love KY!!!
    • RRG Topo for Android and Garmin
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 08:22:39 PM »

Correct, my wife who is no rock-climber has done it (its been 15 years so I don't remember all the details!!).

--> If you want this map, download it soon, I'll swapping it out with one without the dots so not to provide too many specifics.
Gorgin' since '74

duxsrus

• Over Nighter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 01:18:50 PM »

I've gotten to that single yellow dot from both sides numerous times and it seemed impossible (I don't see any red dots on your map).  I didn't actually try to make it but after a calculated size-up, it seemed not possible.  I guess next time I'm out that way, I'll have to check it out again.  Its far easier getting down from the ridge at the Double Arch end than getting up it so I always go out the ridge and then back the official trail.

I've seen Tall Arch from afar but wasn't successful at finding it when I tried to.   

RCKT_RCCN

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 01:30:19 PM »

I've seen Tall Arch from afar but wasn't successful at finding it when I tried to.   

The guys at RedRiverUnderground on youtube have helped everyone find Tall Arch. I feel like for the most part they've stuck to spots that are well-known unofficial trails, but lately they've added skyview, tall, and dehart arches. Arches that most didn't even know about 2-3 years ago. At least I certainly didn't. :) I like these guys and they've helped me find things, but it's always a double-edged sword just like when we share on here.

I wonder if they frequent this site for ideas.. hmm. Which one of you is secretly johnny bluegrass? Joe Ray?  ;)

duxsrus

• Over Nighter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 04:25:19 PM »

I was aware of and have seen both videos you mentioned.  I saw the one that owns the dog (forget which one that is), and the dog, one day when I was coming back from Hanson's and knew right away who he was but never said anything. :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy