Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DWR Restoration - Nikwax, Grangers, or Other?  (Read 1703 times)

RCKT_RCCN

• Thru Hiker
DWR Restoration - Nikwax, Grangers, or Other?
« on: November 20, 2018, 08:53:08 AM »

Need some help, my technical shell and light rain jacket both have lost their edge. What product would you all recommend for restoring the DWR? I know a little about Nikwax, recently heard of Grangers but have never used it. Maybe there's another product out there I don't know about. Thoughts?

wsp_scott

• Back Packer
Re: DWR Restoration - Nikwax, Grangers, or Other?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 02:41:28 AM »

I have used a combination of Nikwax Tech Wash and then TX.Washin https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PGOOIS

My jacket (Marmot Precip) is better than it was, but it is definitely not like new.

hope that helps

genes

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
  • The top of the hill
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 02:57:02 AM »

Just my 2 cents worth.  Having used Goretex and other breathable water repellent gear for over 40 years, in daily running, skiing and backpacking, once they lose their water repellent properties, it is almost impossible to restore them to a condition that is close to what they were when new. 

You can restore some of the water repellency by various techniques.  Dirt and sweat contribute to the loss of repellancy so just a simple cleaning can help.  I think I have tried almost every product on the market and I have a closet full of coats, jackets and pants that I have experimented on over the years.  The one product that I have had the best results with lately is Revive X.   I always wash/clean the product thoroughly before even attempting to apply the DWR product.  Some of the directions indicate that the product must be damp when applying, others state the product must be dry before applying.  Some require heat (dryer) to activate others say to air dry.  I have applied Revive X to damp jackets after cleaning and sometimes I air dry the jackets other times I have tossed it in the dryer on low.  I have never noticed much difference in the final results.  You will notice an immediate improvement after applying the DWR product, but it won't last very long.  After a couple of heavy rain events, I have noticed that most of the water repellency is gone.  Under strenuous exercise, breathability is a must; if it doesn't breath, you are going to be soaked anyway so the DWR really doesn't matter.  A DWR product that restricts breathibility can make the situation worse than no DWR at all.  For heavy rain with temps in the lower 40's or upper 30's I still use Goretex products when exercising.  If I am going to be sitting on bleachers watching a sporting event under the same conditions, I usually use the most water repellent gear I can find regardless of breathability. 

Once funny note, a few years back I was using Revive X on a skiing jacket before a winter trip out west.  I applied the product outside in the cold with the jacket drapped over a concrete picnic table.  I let it air dry in the sun after thoroughly drenching the jacket in Revive X.  The product dripped all over the picnic table and brick patio. Over the next couple of years I could still see where it had dripped and the concrete and bricks were still repelling water.  Again, your mileage may vary.
Peace

Gene

RCKT_RCCN

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 05:38:00 PM »

How did genes respond in 2012????? Time travel is real!

Seriously though thanks for the swift follow up and shared wisdom. Anyone else had varying degrees of success and/or used other products?

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 06:15:22 PM »

I've had the best luck with washing using Nikwax Tech Wash and then spraying it with the Nikwax waterproofing spray. It's not "good as new", but definitely restores the performance to a reasonable level.

genes

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
  • The top of the hill
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 09:13:38 AM »

I noticed the screwy dates on some of the posts a few weeks back.  We are looking into it.
Peace

Gene
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy