Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Devil Creek Falls  (Read 1438 times)

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
  • Enjoying my little wide world
Devil Creek Falls
« on: October 01, 2018, 11:33:55 PM »

Just did Bark Camp Creek to Cumberland Falls SP (kinda) this weekend.   Wonderful hike with a great group of guys.  Kudos to the folks who have posted TRs about this exact hike in years past.  We were planning on doing Dog Slaughter when I mentioned BCC fo them.  I don't know why but they trusted me (mistaking my enthusiasm for wisdom I guess???)

When we got to Cfalls SP sat morning I noticed ALOT of water under the bridge.   We got to the parking lot and there were at least 50 cars in the parking lot.   These are two things that usually don't exist in late Sept at 7am at Cfalls.  A gentleman told me they were having an adventure race but it was canceled due to flooding.   We decided to continue with our plans figuring the laws of nature didn't apply to us I guess. 

We found our way to BCC trailhead.  Poorly marked as it is (its actually not marked, which honestly might be a blessing in disguise), we found it and proceeded.  We figured if we got to the confluence of BCC and the Cumberland we could simply turn around.   We passed the Cascades, then found the excellent bridge I had heard about for so many years, then found the raging Cumberland.  The river was 75 yards away so we proceeded.

Anyway after many miles, passing devils creek, star creek, and visiting Dog Slaughter Falls we began the last 2 miles of our journey.  We passed the mouth of DS creek and came to a large boulder where the Sheltowee proceeded to the right.... directly into the waters of the raging Cumberland.

One of our more youthful and vigorous band suggested climbing the cliffs above and following the cliffline back to the SP.  Instead of smacking the young buck in the face I kindly told him that wasn't a good idea.  We had met 4 people at the falls and none of then looked like they'd been on the trail for 10 miles like we had. They explained there was a trailhead not far away on FR 195.  We opted to go there and see if we could hitch a ride to Cfalls.

We made it (and this spur trail along Dog Slaughter creek was also very nice though we were stressing about a 7 mile road walk if we couldn't find a ride).

Luckily we found a feller from Danville whose truck was hung up.   We used our collective weight on his tailgate and he was able to get out. In return he gave me a ride back to my car.

While riding back to Cfalls we had a great conversation.   Look buddy, I don't know who you are,  but you are a fine Kentuckian and always welcome at my campfire.....

..... Anyway... here is the whole point of this.   He told me up Devils Creek drainage is a huge waterfall with a sizable plung pool.  He said its 100 feet.  When we passed Devils Creek it was roaring and the cliffs on either side of the drainage are huge there.  It wouldn't be out of question and the topo didn't cast shade on what he said...

Anyone know if this is the truth?
erchomai kurios lesous...

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
Re: Devil Creek Falls
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 05:31:25 AM »

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
  • Enjoying my little wide world
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 07:08:51 AM »

That's the the one you can see right next to the Sheltowee, he said it was further up the drainage
erchomai kurios lesous...

onemansadventure

• Over Nighter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 11:51:24 AM »

That's the the one you can see right next to the Sheltowee, he said it was further up the drainage

I don't have the Whitley County copy of my detailed maps I've made on my phone yet.  So I will look tonight, but my guess is that it is a low flow, smaller watershed that comes off the cliffs there.  I'll look and get you coordinates though tonight.  I might have it in my spreadsheet for kywaterfalls.com but not actually on the website yet as well.

onemansadventure

• Over Nighter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 05:09:14 PM »

No 100' waterfalls there.  The stream does have several waterfalls on it, but 20' would be the tallest.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy