Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red-Byrd  (Read 1252 times)

Hanger76

• Day Hiker
Red-Byrd
« on: September 11, 2018, 10:22:26 PM »

Been looking at topo's of the area. Looks like a fun area to explore.  How much traffic does this area receive?? Anyone know??

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
Re: Red-Byrd
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 06:39:34 AM »

Not crazy like Indian Staircase.   :D
Our trip out that-a-way we met a couple coming in (they were gonna camp), on our way out.
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 05:36:35 AM »

I don't believe it gets much traffic at all.  Its rough going back there, you won't cover near as much ground as quickly as you think.  Be prepared because you'll be on your own.

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 08:11:50 PM »

I don't believe it gets much traffic at all.  Its rough going back there, you won't cover near as much ground as quickly as you think.  Be prepared because you'll be on your own.

basically it's a tree-fest. If you can do it by crossing the river I recommend that. The other direction from Castle Arch is very long in comparison. Do not go alone.

thedayhascome

• Back Packer
  • Josh
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 10:45:30 PM »

Been looking at topo's of the area. Looks like a fun area to explore.  How much traffic does this area receive?? Anyone know??

It doesn't get much traffic since it's difficult to access. The easiest way in is from the South via Calaboose Ridge Road, to the old fire road. I don't know how comfortable I would be with leaving my car back there though. May want to make friends with some of the locals back there first, as it's questionable. Certainly don't leave any valuables and leave it unlocked to resist a broken window.

Other than that, there is apparently some interesting stuff back there. An abandoned homestead, also further buried as an old brick chimney that still stands, an old cemetery, lots of great stuff. Red Byrd itself is a beauty and you could spend a lot of time exploring. I would suggest coming in from Osborne Bend/Copperas TH and explore, but certainly this is advanced trekking only with topos and a GPS. Best to plan an overnight to maximize your time.
I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together. John Burroughs

6.5lbs base weight | https://lighterpack.com/r/86ugs2
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy