Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hammock Tent?  (Read 2297 times)

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
  • Enjoying my little wide world
Hammock Tent?
« on: August 22, 2018, 10:41:29 AM »

Planning a backpacking trip to Cumberland Gap this fall.  I don't really want to lug my two person tent up there.  I'm thinking of buying a hammock tent or possibly just rigging a tarp to sleep under.

Any thoughts on that?  As far as a hammock is concerned I would imagine I'll sleep great in one but I do worry about having trees at the White Rocks campsite that I can rig between.

I've always slept in a backpacking tent so this would be new territory for me.
erchomai kurios lesous...

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
Re: Hammock Tent?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 08:45:16 PM »

they seem nice. Not for me, but the plus side is no snakes! :)

AmblingAmos

• Day Hiker
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 10:29:51 PM »

By the term "hammock tent" I am going to assume you are talking about the hammocks with a tent style canopy/screen attached as an all-in-one unit.  I've seen them here and there at online shops, but they just don't appeal to me due to the lack of versatility.  A hammock can be set up alone for a quick seat or mid-day nap.  A tarp can be set up quickly for waiting out a rain shower.  Put them together and you have a nice dry place to sleep for the night.  The combo designs seem to only be good to sleep in, and appear to be a bit more complicated to set up than a simple hammock.

I have a few hammocks, but my favorite is the Hennessey Explorer Asym Zip.  I always sleep great and don't wake up stiff and sore.  I have the larger hex rain fly, and usually set it up in what I call "porch mode".  Stake one side to the ground against the prevailing wind, and raise the other with hiking poles or sticks so I have a nice wide-open view.

If you've never slept in a hammock, I would recommend a few test runs to make sure it is for you.  Also, hammocks sleep colder than a tent with a pad.  Anywhere you compress your insulation will feel colder.  I am cold natured, so temps below 60 degrees I use a 0 degree bag and I'm warm and toasty.

As far as just using a tarp and sleeping on the ground.....have you heard of ticks, chiggers, snakes, centipedes, millipedes, mice, lizards, spiders, moles, skunks, toads, caterpillars, crickets, cicadas, raccoons, and opossums?  I'd much rather be hanging above all that looking like a big fat taco for a bear!
"It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight"  I'm Alive - Kenny Chesney/Dave Matthews

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
  • Enjoying my little wide world
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 09:26:42 AM »

I'm planning on getting a hammock (Bear Butt) and rigging my current backpacking tent's rainfly above it.  Good advice on trying out before I go.

I'm trying to simplify and save some weight for our fall trip to Cumberland Gap.

erchomai kurios lesous...

Hanger76

• Day Hiker
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 10:20:39 PM »

I have a clark NX270 and love it.  Mine has a screen netting that zips closed as well as an outer shell that zips it all up.  I also have the "rain fly" that is cut to completely close up the hammock for those windy, rainy/snow nights. took me a coue times of sleeping in it to get used to it as it is designed to sleep with your feet elevated.  If you feet aren't elevated then your body weight will push you into the middle of the hammock and you end up in a big, unavoidable ball in the middle of the thing.  set up is quick, once you get it all figured out.  weighs just a touch over a pound and is the size of a coffee can when stowed...

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 05:40:30 AM »

I'm not sure how it would work out using the tents rain fly.  I've hammock camped primarily for the last 5 years or so, probably pushing 200 nights out.  I think you'll want more flexibility with the setup.  I would carry an 8x10 tarp instead.  This also gives you the benefit of easily converting to the ground if needed. 

thedayhascome

• Back Packer
  • Josh
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 11:13:59 PM »

I've always slept in a backpacking tent so this would be new territory for me.

I can only highly recommend hammocking, as it's much more comfortable to sleep. As long as you can sleep on your back. Side sleepers beware, you should look for a longer and more stable hammock with a fixed cross bar to get a good night's sleep. I use a shorter ENO hammock and a simple rectangular tarp. Pretty simple and straighforward setup and it has never failed me. There are so many trees in the KY/TN area you should not have any difficulty finding a place to sleep. You have to also think that you aren't looking for a flat, clear piece of ground, so hammocks actually increase your options for a nice campsite since you are off the ground.

A few important items spoken from years of experience:
  • Be sure to use a fixed ridgeline. You can search this and check out several videos to learn more.
  • A down top-quilt works best in these scenarios, something that you can easily get in and out of in a hammock. I do use my sleeping bag, but it requires finesse to not completely dump yourself onto the ground.
  • Also, you will need some sort of insulation under you in the shoulder season. Preferably, an underquilt. Do not go without one. At least use a 3-season sleeping mat (with some R-value), partially-to-barely inflated under your top quilt/sleeping bag. If you are crafty, you can purchase a cheap down blanket (search Costco Down blanket underquilt) to use as an underquilt, which will serve you well.
I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together. John Burroughs

6.5lbs base weight | https://lighterpack.com/r/86ugs2
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy