Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shelltowee trace, section hike  (Read 3378 times)

r.grider

• Over Nighter
Shelltowee trace, section hike
« on: August 06, 2018, 12:04:54 PM »

A friend an I plan to hike about a 2 or 3 day section of Shelltowee this fall. Working around schedules if we are lucky a 2 night stay, three at the most. My goal is to do the entire trace, but in sections, over a few years, maybe the rest of my life. I have bought maps, and studying them makes my head hurt ! Just wondering if someone who has done it could recommend a 2 or 3 day section with put in and take out points, leaving a vehicle at each one. Are there any spectacular sites ? road access ? not that we would need a resupply for such a short hike, but a restaurant at some point would be a bonus. Thanks in advance !

genes

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
  • The top of the hill
Re: Shelltowee trace, section hike
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 08:10:49 AM »

You really need to check out the Shelltowee Trace Association.  They have their own Facebook page and they sponsor organized section hikes each month.  They have been doing this for years and have had probably hundreds of their members complete the ST in sections.  They have Trail Angels and can also assist in pickups and drop offs.  The STA has been responsible for adding about 50 miles to the ST just during the last 5 years.  Some of the STA members are on numerous forums and they are a great source of info.  I have been a member of STA and have hiked about 75% of the ST over the past 20 years.  Most of the ST is in Kentucky, but the portion in Tennessee is getting longer as more mileage is added every year or two.
Peace

Gene

wsp_scott

• Back Packer
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 04:19:03 PM »

Not sure of the length, but a good start would be at the south end near Honey Creek and hike to Yamacraw Bridge or take a slight detour to Blue Heron if Yamacraw is too far. That would be a great hike in the fall.

genes

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
  • The top of the hill
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 09:44:27 AM »

I agree with wsp_scott.  That is one of the most scenic sections of the entire ST and I would highly recommend it.  However the distance from Honey Creek to Blue Heron is about 50+ trail miles.  Probably too much for a 3 day trip. In that section of the ST, 35 miles in three days would be strenuous for most people. 
Peace

Gene

r.grider

• Over Nighter
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 04:48:06 PM »

We intend to hike from northern terminus to Morehead. Anyone recommend a shuttle so we can leave car in Morehead ?

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 08:09:42 PM »

If I were you, I'd have someone drop you off and pick you up. These trailheads are not the best place to leave car for 3 days.

johnbp

• Day Hiker
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 09:46:08 AM »

For a shuttle, check out the Cave Run chapter of the Sheltowee Trace Association.  You can find them on FB.  Or, there's a shuttle request form on the STA website.  They will get your request to the Cave Run chapter.

Also, it's safe to leave your car in Morehead.  The Trace goes right down Main St., and it's OK to park in the lot for the Morehead Conference Center, right across the street from the police station.  I've done it multiple times.

I think the STA will be organizing section hikes from Morehead to the norther terminus the 2nd and 3rd weekends of November.  This section is generally done as an overnight.  There are limited water sources, and you may need to consider caching some water.  If you do it with the STA, there'll be a support vehicle at road crossings with water.

laurel-hardinguy

• Day Hiker
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 07:07:05 PM »

Get connected with the STA, it's a great resource for hiking the Sheltowee. I've done a big part of the southern portion, and at Red River Gorge.   Hands down the best section is the Big South fork segment.  Cumberland Falls to Laurel Lake is nice as well.   There's a great section between KY 192 and VanHook Falls in Laurel county, Past there it becomes a hodgepodge of ridge running, 4WD trails and gravel forest service roads that the trace piggybacks on.

There are two older cemeteries along the ST in Laurel County.  The McFadden cemetery is above Big Dog Branch and some very old markers. 

Once you get into Jackson county it's sharing the trail with ATV's and fording Horse Lick creek a a few times until you get to S Tree. From S Tree to Turkeyfoot is my next section.

Tony Anders

• Day Hiker
  • Hiking Kentucky Two steps at a time...
    • Po' Boy Adventures
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 12:04:51 PM »

G Rider, have you made more plans on your hiking?  I am going to try and get into shape to do the same thing.  I am not ready for 15+ mile days.  I am mostly looking at 6 to 12 mile days before camping, depending on the terrain. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy