Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter Adventure Weekend  (Read 1625 times)

AmblingAmos

• Day Hiker
Winter Adventure Weekend
« on: December 19, 2017, 07:21:55 PM »

A heads up to those interested, Winter Adventure Weekend at Carter Caves State park is open for registration.  Seems like it is a nice event put on by a good group of people.  I guess I'll find out in a few weeks!  :)

http://www.winteradventureweekend.com/
"It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight"  I'm Alive - Kenny Chesney/Dave Matthews

keith

• KYWilderness Admin
  • KY Junkie
Re: Winter Adventure Weekend
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 10:45:21 AM »

Looks like a lot of fun!
"you can't make cherry blossoms by tearing off petals
to plant only spring does that"
Ikkyu (1394-1481)

Captain Blue

• Over Nighter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 10:43:01 PM »

It's an awesome event. I've been part of this event since the start and it's predecessor the Crawlathon, for 20 years. It's an incredibly inexpensive event for what you get. See you there!

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 12:42:11 PM »

so... do caves feel warmer in winter? or still cold, just less than outside?  :P

AmblingAmos

• Day Hiker
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 05:00:53 PM »

so... do caves feel warmer in winter? or still cold, just less than outside?  :P

With the caves in the Carter Caves area, it really depends on which cave you were in, and sometimes there was a huge difference from one room/level to the next. 
"It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight"  I'm Alive - Kenny Chesney/Dave Matthews

AmblingAmos

• Day Hiker
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 06:16:15 PM »

So, I figured I would post a quick follow-up on this event since I was the one who brought it up.

To sum it up in a few words: Best winter weekend I've ever had!

To start, the weather didn't actually feel much like winter, which was fine by me.  I'll take highs in the 50's for this event every year.

I ended up taking my daughter with me and she had a great time as well.  We crawled through caves, walked through caves, climbed ropes, climbed rock, rappelled, hiked, camped and learned a bit about photographing caves. 

Everyone working/volunteering the event was friendly and encouraging.  The young lads and ladies from Asbury College who put on the rock climbing field trip were the best.  When I backpack in the RRG it seems all college kids want to do is drink beer, smoke pot, and trash everything they come in contact with, all while whooping, cussing, and screaming.  The Asbury group was very professional and concentrated on the experience we were having, not acting like the "normal" college kids I run into in the woods, or goofing off with each other and playing on cell phones.  Two of the young ladies even managed to get my somewhat shy daughter to open up and talk about their common interests, which was a surprise to me. 

The highlights of the trip for us was the rock climbing field trip and the two wild cave trips in Wilburn and Bat Cave.  So much so that I'm now looking to join a grotto to see if we can get in on some trips to more local caves in Pulaski county. And if that doesn't work out, there's other wild cave trips in the Mammoth Cave region.  We have most of our sport climbing gear, and have been getting the basics figured out.  But after finally getting on rock to climb, I'm also looking forward to warmer weather and booking a climbing guide a few times.  Everything I did that weekend left me wanting more, (I know, I sound like a junkie!) so hopefully this is going to be one fun summer!  Who knows, maybe I'll end up combining the two and do some vertical caving some day; now that would be fun!

My only regret from the trip was that there just wasn't enough time to do it all.  So, I guess I'll have to go next year....and the year after, and the year after. :)

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 06:52:59 PM »

Sound like you had an awesome day.   ;D
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy