Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trip Report: Banff 2017  (Read 2634 times)

wsp_scott

• Back Packer
Trip Report: Banff 2017
« on: August 13, 2017, 04:17:59 PM »

I was lucky to spend a week in Banff this past June when my wife was invited to a conference. I said I would go if we planned on spending a couple extra days and if I could go backpacking during the conference. Unfortunately, the conference was scheduled for the middle of June and this evidently was a big snow year so many/most trails were still buried under a ton of snow, still had a good time, want to go back later in the summer.

My wife is not a backpacker, so this was a mix of dayhikes and overnight trips. Because of the snow, it was impossible to string together a 3 night trip.

Dayhikes: Lake Minnewanka, Tunnel Mountain, Lake Agnes Teahouse (Lake Louise), Bow Glacier Falls.
Backpack/car camp: Lake O'Hara, Rampart Creek campground and Glacier Lake

Day 1 highlight: Lake Minnewanka

Day 2 highlight: Bow Glacier Falls (in the top middle of the below photo)

Day 3 highlight: Hike to Lake Oesa (at Lake O'Hara Yoho NP)

Day 4 highlight: Lake O'Hara

Day 5 highlight: a tie between the Saskatchewan River at Rampart Creek Campground

and Glacier Lake

Day 6 highlight: Howse River

there are a huge number of photos and a lot more details here https://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com/2017/08/banff-2017.html

RCKT_RCCN

• Thru Hiker
Re: Trip Report: Banff 2017
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 10:54:36 PM »

Never have I been so jealous of a trip report! Looks fantastic, sincere thanks for sharing!

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 06:47:38 AM »

Great pics. Awesome scenery!!!
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

wsp_scott

• Back Packer
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 09:39:31 AM »

Glad you liked the photos.

RCKT_RCCN did you see this trip report from MarkW a couple years ago? Soaking in a hot tub in the middle of the woods just sounds too cool :)
http://www.kywilderness.com/forum/index.php?topic=7208.0

RCKT_RCCN

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 10:09:52 AM »

Glad you liked the photos.

RCKT_RCCN did you see this trip report from MarkW a couple years ago? Soaking in a hot tub in the middle of the woods just sounds too cool :)
http://www.kywilderness.com/forum/index.php?topic=7208.0

I did see it, tried to block it from memory knowing I won't make it out there anytime soon! The wanderlust is real, people.

wsp_scott

• Back Packer
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 03:32:28 PM »

I did see it, tried to block it from memory knowing I won't make it out there anytime soon! The wanderlust is real, people.

I said something very similar my last night camping in Banff. "I'm almost 45 and I have finally accepted that I will never be able to see everything that I want to see in the world". The 55 year old I was talking to just laughed and said he came to the same conclusion at about the same age :)

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 10:41:00 PM »

simply beautiful. my favorite might be the first shot but I love the Lake O'Hara.  I am very impressed Scott. Great!!!

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 11:42:48 AM »

Incredible scenery! Glad you were able to get out and hike in that area and even have some moments to yourself. Great photos, too. The grandeur of the landscape really comes across well.

thedayhascome

• Back Packer
  • Josh
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 09:43:39 AM »

Beautiful scenery, thanks for sharing! Any of those photos would have made an excellent campsite location. I would love to wake up to that view in the morning.
I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together. John Burroughs

6.5lbs base weight | https://lighterpack.com/r/86ugs2
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy