Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Three-Day Effect  (Read 1933 times)

RCKT_RCCN

• Thru Hiker
The Three-Day Effect
« on: August 10, 2017, 12:30:57 PM »

Ironically, this short article popped up as a notification on my phone from REI:

https://www.rei.com/blog/camp/the-nature-fix-the-three-day-effect

In it, the author wants to make an argument for disconnecting from the world and spending time in the outdoors. A small excerpt:

"“Having hiked around the desert for years, I noticed in myself, and from talking to others, that people think differently after being out in the desert. Their thoughts are clearer, they’re certainly more relaxed, they report being more creative,” says Strayer. “If you can disconnect and experience being in the moment for two or three days, it seems to produce a difference in qualitative thinking.”

Strayer wanted to find ways to test what he started calling “the three-day effect,” a kind of neural reboot that might boost creativity. “I wanted to try to understand what was going on inside the brain,” he says."

After reading the article, a quick google search produced this article as well:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2016/01/call-to-wild/ (warning, some of the pictures might be NSFW. I can't even understand why the photographer felt it necessary to photograph semi-nude hikers. It adds nothing to the article  >:( )

I simply wanted to ask the best backpackers I know if you agree with this study. What are you experiences? Does the three-day effect ring true for you?

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
Re: The Three-Day Effect
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 02:30:59 PM »

well you know how this energy worker is going to answer...

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 06:49:19 PM »

"What are you experiences? Does the three-day effect ring true for you?"

Absolutely. I notice benefits even just from dayhikes or short trail runs, but the benefits really increase after being out for a night and seem to multiply from there.

A three-night/four-day trip provides a huge benefit, although I can't exactly quantify it.

Unfortunately, it seems like some of the benefits fade fairly quickly once you "return" to the routine and "normal" world.

I do think that I have experienced significant cumulative benefits from having spent 300+ nights out over the last 10 years though. Hoping to be able to keep frequency going for another 10 years . . . at which time I will hit the big 4-0! I know there will be at least one aspect of my life at the milestone that I won't be regretting : )

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 09:17:06 PM »

Most days we hike it's just day trips, but occassionally camp for the weekend.
Hubby refers to the outdoors as the real world. 
To me it feels like going home (even though I have always lived in the suburbs).
So I guess I agree with Mark, doesn't take 3 days. :)
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

RCKT_RCCN

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 08:27:17 AM »

I definitely agree that even the shortest of day trips have restorative properties. A day in the woods (or on the lake, river, etc.) is better than any day in the office!

I find for me though when camping that it takes a minimum of two nights to really hit the reset button. The first night is for adjustment, night two is when I find my rhythm. Unfortunately I don't get to go on any trips longer than that! At least not until my boys are little older. :)

Mark, those are great life goals! I'd love to spend that much time out in the wild!

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 07:25:41 PM »

I definitely agree that even the shortest of day trips have restorative properties. A day in the woods (or on the lake, river, etc.) is better than any day in the office!

I find for me though when camping that it takes a minimum of two nights to really hit the reset button. The first night is for adjustment, night two is when I find my rhythm. Unfortunately I don't get to go on any trips longer than that! At least not until my boys are little older. :)

Mark, those are great life goals! I'd love to spend that much time out in the wild!

the first thing is the turning off the sympathetic nervous system and getting into rest and digest, which is why you want to snack immediately upon camping. the second thing is how your body releases endorphins in the presence of negative ions, which are released strongest at places of great feng shui or lots of yin (like caves and waterfalls). the third thing is that the body naturally detoxes as you return to the correct circadian rhythm and release tension, and lower blood pressure (reduced cardiac output and increased vasodilation). the final thing I would note is that there is a transcendental or spiritual/psychic component where you blend your self with Nature. Returning to Nature is a Taoist pursuit for a reason. Xing means innate nature, and so we (humans) strive to complete the sojourn of the soul by reuniting it with the Primal (Source, God, etc...) and this also helps us to be empty.

Speaking of being empty, here's an experiment I performed recently. When peopl ehave no bing qi to speak of, or complaints, their Electric Fields drop, usually to 0. The study was not 100% of people, but many.

This is only phase 1 of the study, proving it was worth my time to do the experiement (testing hypothesis viability). Although I didn't prove Qi was electric fields, I found strong correlations.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy