Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pine Mountain Trail  (Read 1103 times)

kymyers

• Over Nighter
Pine Mountain Trail
« on: June 15, 2017, 04:16:01 PM »

Anyone ever done any of the Pine Mountain Trail?  Am considering it for a two night-er this summer.  Any pointers would be appreciated.

wsp_scott

• Back Packer
Re: Pine Mountain Trail
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 08:19:18 PM »

I've never hiked it, but it has been on my list for a couple of years. Please do a trip report if you end up hiking it.

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 05:39:13 PM »

haha I always drive it,  :P but the hiking looks nice in sections.

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 08:51:05 PM »

Shifu, I think you might be thinking of the Little Shepherd Trail? That one is open to vehicles for much, or perhaps all, of its length. The Pine Mountain Trail is mostly just a hiking route but I think some sections are open to ATVs. It was featured in Backpacker Magazine a few years ago, here is a link to an article that mentions that: http://stuthetraveler.com/destinations/2013/7/8/pine-mountain-trail-a-wild-hike-with-few-blazes

The section outside of Whitesburg near Bad Branch Falls and High Rock is pretty nice. It is a hard trail to find info on. Good luck!

kymyers

• Over Nighter
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 08:56:50 PM »

Tropical storm Cindy cut our weekend short, but we still did an in-and-out trip into the Highland Section of the trail.  Would like to set aside a few days to to the entire length sometime.  We parked on Rt 119 where the Little Shepherd trail starts and the highland section of the Pine Mountain Trail ends.  Our goal was the Adena Springs Shelter, about 10 miles into the Highland Section.  The views from the trail were spectacular, however, rare.  Much of the trail is below the crest in the forest.  The forest is really interesting as it consists of several different ecosystems.  Much of the trail passes through secondary growth forest but some newer growth sections are present.  The rock slabs at the top of the mountain are really unique, and show the upthrust geology of the region, as they all are at a 30 to 45 degree angle.  Points of interest are the "lemon squeeze", high rock, mars rock, stateline knob, and the Adena Springs Shelter.  DO NOT BE FOOLED.  When the trail states "strenuous" hiking, it is not kidding.  The official map on the website shows elevation changes from 2,600 to 3,300 feet, but they must have taken elevation readings periodically without truly tracking the trail.  It seemed like we were climbing Raven Rock at the gorge about every 30 minutes or so.  It was all we could to to make Adena Springs on the first day.  Saw several critters on the way in including a box turtle, toads, fire newts, and quail.  Multiple times we saw bear scat, and one tree was being used as a signpost.  On the way out of Adena the next morning, the bear had left us a fresh pile right in the middle of the trail about 20 feet outside of the shelter clearing.  Guess he didn't really think much of our using his trail.  After retracing the trail back to the car  (7 hours later)  We headed back north on 15 and just had to sidetrack to Miguels at the gorge to reconstitute ourselves.  All-in-all was a great trip.  Highly recommend it with the notice of how strenuous it is, and that setting up a shuttle would be preferable.

kymyers

• Over Nighter
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 09:09:24 PM »

The view from the beginning of the hike.

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 04:13:33 PM »

Shifu, I think you might be thinking of the Little Shepherd Trail? That one is open to vehicles for much, or perhaps all, of its length. The Pine Mountain Trail is mostly just a hiking route but I think some sections are open to ATVs. It was featured in Backpacker Magazine a few years ago, here is a link to an article that mentions that: http://stuthetraveler.com/destinations/2013/7/8/pine-mountain-trail-a-wild-hike-with-few-blazes

The section outside of Whitesburg near Bad Branch Falls and High Rock is pretty nice. It is a hard trail to find info on. Good luck!

I know that, but I mean going along the Pine Mountain. You end up coming out at the park entrance. :)

kymyers

• Over Nighter
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 09:42:53 PM »

Shifu...we started at the end of the Little Shepherd Trail...have both driven it and hiked parts.  The west end can be hiked above the road on the crest of the mountain...at least in part.  Have attached a few more pictures.

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 09:38:15 AM »

love the Lemon Squeezer. Hadn't seen that one before!

kymyers

• Over Nighter
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 09:19:51 PM »

Got through the lemon squeezer with my pack on going in...was really difficult.  Took it off on the way back.  The pic doesn't really show it, but it is not a straight crack.  About three feet up it shifts about a foot.  Why do all of my pics show up sideways?

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 06:20:17 AM »

Why do all of my pics show up sideways?

Because windows just does that sometimes.  LOL!!!
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy