Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: KY LIDAR/KY From Above  (Read 3367 times)

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
Re: KY LIDAR/KY From Above
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 12:29:37 AM »

funny thing: I'm a former computer engineer and I don't use any of these advanced GPS, lol.

So I am also curious how I can join the 21st century... or rather the 2010s.

onemansadventure

• Over Nighter
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 09:08:22 AM »

AmblingAmos, I use ESRI software, ArcMap.  I download the raw lidar data from the KYAbove websites.  I then process it myself and add lots of other data to it.

So when you download the data, it is just a black and white map, it is not the hillshade (the 3D looking map) that you see on the website linked in this thread.
I process it into a hillshade myself and then create contours at 5' intervals.
I then add other data like trails, roads, streams, and public land boundaries.

Then I export out of ArcMap as a GeoPdf.
You can import the GeoPdf into MapC2Map.
MapC2Map can then export as a .sqlitedb file.
That file can be loaded into BackCountry via the "Prebuilt Map" option.

I am going to sit down and write a guide to the later portion of how to do it all in Map2CMap when I get a chance, but either way you would need to have access to some GIS software to create the map.  There is no way to use the online mapping to create a geo-referenced file to import into Map2CMap.

The files get pretty big, but I will put one together for a small portion of the gorge and post the link to download it here, to give you a taste of what is possible with it.

AmblingAmos

• Day Hiker
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 08:52:15 PM »

Thanks for the reply.  I was hoping it would be much easier than what you describe.  Being a bit of a cartophile, I really need to dive into digital mapping more and figure it all out.  I would love to have a basemap like you describe (Lidar/5ft contour/hillshading/roads) overlaid will all the waypoints and tracks of the Ky Adventure Tourism map, combined with my own waypooints and tracks. 

You mention that the files get a bit large, so I'm curious as to how large.  It wouldn't bother me to have a 128 Gig card in my phone and it be full if it was a map like I described.

I don't have the time to invest in learning about digital mapping software right now, but maybe this winter when things slow down I can give it more attention.
"It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight"  I'm Alive - Kenny Chesney/Dave Matthews

onemansadventure

• Over Nighter
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2018, 09:20:40 PM »

Amos,

I've printed myself a book that is 80 pages of the maps of the gorge that I made from the Lidar Data.  I worked tonight on starting to put it all together as a BackCountry Navigator map.  5 of those pages are up to 207 megabits in BackCountry.

Here is an example.  I live in Northern Kentucky, so here is the Adair WMA that is located in Boone County:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tVUYN30WBqIwehWXq1Vp8Ab3YNp-jD6f

Download that file to your phone.
Open BackCountry
Click the 3 layer icon up on the top menu
Click "Prebuilt Map"
Click "Browse"
Then find the AdairWMA.sqlitedb file and click on it.
A box will open and hit "Yes" to centering to the map.

Then zoom in and enjoy and see what is possible.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Privacy Policy