Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: KY LIDAR/KY From Above  (Read 3405 times)

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
KY LIDAR/KY From Above
« on: May 22, 2017, 02:49:43 PM »

So KY From Above isn't up yet, exactly, BUT... check out this release:
http://kygeonet.ky.gov/StoryMaps/KyFromAboveElevation/

hint: click one of the #'s then zoom wherever you want!

RCKT_RCCN

• Thru Hiker
Re: KY LIDAR/KY From Above
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 02:22:18 PM »

I've been using this for a while now. It's a fantastic resource for identifying natural features such as waterfalls. However, the LiDAR data does not cover the entire state yet. A large swatch mainly over the DBNF is still to be completed.

thedayhascome

• Back Packer
  • Josh
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 09:12:04 AM »

Ky_DEM_KYAPED_5FT_WGS84WM/ImageServer

LiDAR mapping is going to be very promising in locating hidden treasures. News and the survey report from KyFromAbove [http://kygeonet.ky.gov/kyfromabove/] state that they have completed the 2017 mapping acquisition and Kentucky now has statewide coverage of LiDAR-based, high-resolution elevation data. Processing the data is underway and final delivery is scheduled for late Fall, so hopefully very soon.

You can see all of collection data points within DBNF, via this report: (warning, it's large) http://kygeonet.ky.gov/kyfromabove/pdfs/2017%20KY%20Statewide%20control_Report_PSI.pdf

Will be sure to update this post as soon as the data is available.

“I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together.” – John Burroughs

6.5lbs base weight | https://lighterpack.com/r/86ugs2

RCKT_RCCN

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 01:46:31 PM »

LiDAR mapping is going to be very promising in locating hidden treasures. News and the survey report from KyFromAbove [http://kygeonet.ky.gov/kyfromabove/] state that they have completed the 2017 mapping acquisition and Kentucky now has statewide coverage of LiDAR-based, high-resolution elevation data. Processing the data is underway and final delivery is scheduled for late Fall, so hopefully very soon.

You can see all of collection data points within DBNF, via this report: (warning, it's large) http://kygeonet.ky.gov/kyfromabove/pdfs/2017%20KY%20Statewide%20control_Report_PSI.pdf

It's been a game-changer for me, and I know that as more people figure out how to use it the hunt for hidden treasures will be blown wide open. It's definitely a catch-22. I want all the infos for myself, but don't want others to have that same knowledge... I must find all the waterfalls first!!  :P

That's one thing I love about this site, you guys and gals bring me down a notch or two with the depth of your knowledge and travels. I may think I know a thing or two, but y'all know more!

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 04:33:23 PM »

This is so crazy I was JUST on this thread last night to open the links and was so disappointed for no update yet. Thanks for that, it really made me happy to get an answer to my need.

RCKT_RCCN

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 11:31:57 AM »

Ky_DEM_KYAPED_5FT_WGS84WM/ImageServer

I regret what I'm about to do...it was only a matter of time so I want to get out in front of it to offer caution. The curtain has been pulled back, the gorge has been defrocked. The lidar for the entire state is live now, if you know where to find it. I've seen it, and I can't unsee it now. There is no more mystery. Every boulder, every cliff, every waterfall - yours if you have a discerning eye.

Use this new-found power wisely, children. Eat of the fruit if you must, but know that it won't satisfy. Not like the good ole' days of reading contours and guessing at wonders to go find with your boots and your wits. We can never go back.

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 07:55:26 PM »

Not like the good ole' days of reading contours and guessing at wonders to go find with your boots and your wits. We can never go back.

I'm directional dyslexic, couldn't find my way out of a paper bag.   :laugh: LOL!!
But hubby is awesome!!!  When we started hunting/exploring it was with a map and compass.  Kinda miss the The good ole days.  :-\
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

thedayhascome

• Back Packer
  • Josh
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 09:50:31 PM »

I regret what I'm about to do..

Oh man, oh man, oh man. You can literally see every old logging road, even if it's barely noticeable now. Amazing. I have already looked at the prime spots I had previously marked assuming something might be hidden there. Need to get out on the trail soon.

For those who have no idea the power of what we are talking about. FWIW, you can follow the old Copperas logging road back... for miles.

And even better, the Adena Meadows. Look at those circles!

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 10:57:24 PM by thedayhascome »
“I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put together.” – John Burroughs

RCKT_RCCN

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 09:29:05 AM »

Is it just me, or does those circles in Adena Meadows almost look like a pictograph of a person??? I can easily see a body, a couple of arms and a leg on the western side. Thoughts??

thedayhascome

• Back Packer
  • Josh
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 02:05:11 PM »

Is it just me, or does those circles in Adena Meadows almost look like a pictograph of a person??? I can easily see a body, a couple of arms and a leg on the western side. Thoughts??

I definitely saw a figure when I first looked at it as well.

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 03:49:25 PM »

The Great Man, aka Squatter Man, aka Wounded Man

A plasma formation seen in the sky around the world. It's a very common archetype, if you google those words. Pretty much the entire world has petroglyphs and pictographs in his shape.

"[Thomas] Jefferson, who often is referred to as the father of American archaeology, was fascinated with both mastodons and the Ice Age Americans. Unlike Franklin, [speaking about Big Bone Lick, Kentucky], Jefferson was convinced that people lived in the Americas at the same time mastodons were living at Big Bone Lick. His reasoning was based, in part, on an oral tradition of Delaware Indians, which he had recorded firsthand. During the American Revolution, Jefferson had met with a group of Delaware Warriors and asked them, "What happened to the great animal whose bones were found at the salt licks on the Ohio?" A Chief in the group stood up and said,
'In ancient times a herd of these tremendous animals came to the Big Bone Licks, and began a universal destruction of the bear, deer, elks, buffaloes, and other animals which had been created for the use of the Indians; that the Great Man above, looking down and seeing this, was so enraged that he seized his lightning, descended on the Earth, seated himself on a neighboring mountain, on a rock of which his seat and the print of his feet, and hurled his bolts among them till the whole were slaughtered, except the big bull who, presenting his forehead to the shafts, shook them off as they fell; but missing one at length, it wounded him in the side; whereon, springing round, he bounded over the Ohio, over the Wabash, the Illinois, and finally over the great lakes, where he is living at this day.’[sic]” ~In Search of Ice Age Americans, Tankersley, p51-52

“Consider this account from the Ojibwa, a Native American people: The star with the long, wide tail is going to destroy the world some day when it comes low again. That’s the comet called Long-Tailed Heavenly Climbing Star. It came down here once, thousands of years ago. Just like the sun. It had radiation and burning heat in its tail. The comet burned everything to the ground. There wasn’t a thing left. Indian people were here before that happened, living on the earth. But things were wrong; a lot of people had abandoned the spiritual path. The holy spirit warned them a long time before the comet came. Medicine men told everyone to prepare. Things were wrong with nature on the earth … Then that comet went through here. It had a long, wide tail and it burned up everything. It flew so low the tail scorched the earth … The comet made a different world. After that survival was hard work. The weather was colder than before”
― Graham Hancock, Magicians of the Gods: The Forgotten Wisdom of Earth's Lost Civilization

the comet in effigy (commonly known):

We have 3 such comet effigy mounds here in KY: Spratt, Boyd, and Lawrence.

thedayhascome

• Back Packer
  • Josh
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 02:20:16 PM »

Well after spending countless hours trying to integrate LiDAR into CalTopo, RCKT_RCCN finds the easy way. Needless to say, CalTopo supports WMS endpoints and the KY GIS team have been gracious enough to provide the hillshade DEM tilesets from LiDAR in this format.

This is a day/night difference in terms to understanding the underlying terrain. Will be happy to assist anyone interested in adding the KY LiDAR data to their CalTopo profile, just send a PM. Also, kudos again to RCKT_RCCN for discovering the correct format.

onemansadventure

• Over Nighter
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 11:08:25 PM »

If you use BackCountry Navigator, you can import your own base maps from the lidar data.  I know you can to Gaia as well, but I don't know the steps for it as it tricker and I don't use that app anyways.

In app lidar map

AmblingAmos

• Day Hiker
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 08:23:36 PM »

If you use BackCountry Navigator, you can import your own base maps from the lidar data.  I know you can to Gaia as well, but I don't know the steps for it as it tricker and I don't use that app anyways.

Ok, you have my attention!  I've used BC Navigator for years now and love it. (Why carry a standalone GPS when I carry my phone anyway?)  I've took a couple halfhearted stabs at getting the Lidar data into BC Navigator without any luck.  So far I've been marking interesting Lidar features on BCN and adding a screenshot of the area from ArcGIS to the picture option for the waypoint.  At least I have the point, and the picture of what struck me as interesting.  But, to have the Lidar map downloaded into my phone would be awewsome!

Could you please point me in the right direction to get this to work?
"It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight"  I'm Alive - Kenny Chesney/Dave Matthews
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Privacy Policy