Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trip Report: Rockcastle Narrows  (Read 1157 times)

wsp_scott

• Back Packer
Trip Report: Rockcastle Narrows
« on: May 07, 2017, 01:10:06 PM »

A couple weeks ago I had permission to escape into the woods for a night. Based on a thread here in December (http://www.kywilderness.com/forum/index.php?topic=7372.0) I already knew where I was headed for an easy one night. KYhiker40, did you ever make it out here?

A couple highlight photos (lots more here https://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com/2017/05/rockcastle-narrows.html)

Van Hook Falls

I think I found MarkW's campsite.

Awesome view of the Narrows

I love wild irises

Any idea what kind of snake this is? I saw two of them and they were both a little agressive.

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
Re: Trip Report: Rockcastle Narrows
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 07:30:17 PM »

Actually I never made it.  I became obsessed with the Copperas Creek area in January, then feel deep into marathon training and gave up my weekend trips in exchange for weekend long runs.  I'm having a hard time balancing my desire to run local races with my desire to get out and hike!  In some ways, they both have a lot in common.

kymyers

• Over Nighter
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 09:43:29 PM »

Nice trip!  VanHook Falls was running pretty full.  Think your snake is a garter snake.  They come in a bunch of color phases/patterns and are usually kinda grumpy.

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 02:24:30 PM »

Nice trip report, enjoyed reading it on your blog and looking at the extra pictures. I've done a lot of hiking down there and you took some GREAT photographs that really capture the essence of the place, at least for me . . . maybe I'm too sentimental : ) But regardless, those are excellent pictures. I really like the one of Van Hook Falls.

And it looks like you did end up camping at one of my preferred campsites in that area. Nice campsite and on clear nights the stargazing from there is really good, too!

Edited to clarify: the stargazing when climbing out on the rocks along the river is nice, the stargazing right from camp is obstructed by trees.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 04:12:27 PM by Mark W »

wsp_scott

• Back Packer
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 08:05:15 PM »

Kymyers, thanks for the snake ID. Grumpy is a pretty good description of both snakes.

Kyhiker40, you need to spend some time in the area. MarkW wasn't kidding about it being some beautiful hiking.

MarkW, glad my photos bring back some happy memories for you. Sitting on the rocks and watching the water was a great way to end the day. The clouds came in, so no stars this time. I'm going to make a day trip down there to creek walk down Pounder Branch. The water was pretty cold and I didn't really want to get soaked with my camera.

RCKT_RCCN

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 08:09:54 AM »

The creek walk down Pounder Branch is a must-do. And you were right to wait for a little warmer water, the closer you get to Cane Creek the deeper it gets! No swimming, but it will definitely creep up above mid-thigh in a few spots.

I was down there a few weeks ago in a monsoon, I have never seen the creeks so full. Here's a picture of the Cane Creek crossing near the bridge:

And one of Van Hook at full tilt:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 08:11:53 AM by RCKT_RCCN »

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 03:14:16 PM »

Awesome view of the Narrows

indeed!!

Can't wait to go...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy