Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Welcome Creek Wilderness  (Read 1372 times)

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
Welcome Creek Wilderness
« on: April 02, 2017, 10:56:11 PM »

Took a quick overnight trip to the Welcome Creek Wilderness here in Montana this past weekend. Way too early to be backpacking, as I ended up postholing through probably a cumulative mile of knee-deep snow on the five-mile trek to the fallen down cabin where I spent the night (not in the cabin, great sheltered campsite beneath a pine behind the cabin).  Talk about a workout!

Postholing through snow is not a pleasure you all back in Kentucky get to experience too often. And from what I understand, it was almost a year without a winter back there, while here in Montana the thermometer saw -20* a handful of times and was the snowiest winter most folks can remember. At least the cross-country skiing was nice!

Enjoy the pictures and hope hiking season is getting off to a great start for you all back East . . .

Bonus points to whoever guesses the reference of "Tumble-down shack in Bigfoot County, snowed so hard that the roof caved in" that I kept humming when looking at the cabin . . .

wsp_scott

• Back Packer
Re: Welcome Creek Wilderness
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 07:07:51 AM »

I'm sort of surprised there is still that much snow. I've already got 3 trips and 6 nights this year. I'm looking forward to more western trip reports from you as the weather warms up.

I frequently get the line "I cut hickory to fire the still, drink down a bottle and be ready to kill" when I am hiking, no idea why :)

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 04:27:37 PM »

Yeah, it had been a snowy winter but I didn't expect there to be that much snow . . . although the cabin is at around 5,000 feet and summer is still pretty far away this time of year at that elevation.

Here is a view of the cabin this past weekend and a picture from the end of March 2015:

Quite the difference!

And nice job on following up with another verse from the same song . . .good tunes!

wsp_scott

• Back Packer
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 05:47:26 PM »

Yeah, that is a big difference. It is really weird to see that much snow at this time of the year. Lexington "biggest" snowfall this winter was about 2 inches, other than that, just dustings.

I've had Brown Eyed Women in my head all day and I think I decided it is seeing saw cuts in trees (trail maintenance) that makes me think of cutting hickory. Weird how my mind works :)

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 09:59:06 AM »

I'm sort of surprised there is still that much snow. I've already got 3 trips and 6 nights this year. I'm looking forward to more western trip reports from you as the weather warms up.

I frequently get the line "I cut hickory to fire the still, drink down a bottle and be ready to kill" when I am hiking, no idea why :)

When I went to Montana it was almost May, (4/30) and it was practically a blizzard. I tried to buy chains but they had already stopped stocking them at an auto store.

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 11:03:40 AM »

For those of you interested in a longer, essay-style account of this trip please head over to the TrailGroove blog:
http://www.trailgroove.com/blogs/entry/92-welcoming-spring-in-the-welcome-creek-wilderness/

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy