Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rare 100% score... (my 1st trip report of 2017)  (Read 924 times)

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
Rare 100% score... (my 1st trip report of 2017)
« on: January 22, 2017, 01:47:24 PM »

So, as you may or may not be aware, I travel so much in KY to take inventory, assess conservation and tourism issues, and to record/score locations. Partly for the website to launch, and partly for the map, and partly for the book, but most of all for political action to come, when times are favorable.
The current scores:
AVG Score:   85.50480769   B, Bronze
# entries   416   
A++   52   
A+    50   
A   48   
A-   76   
B+   42   
B    25   
B-   23   
C+   17   
C   20   
C-   13   
D   20   
F   30   

Today I scored a random, unexpected 100%: Shaker Preserve/Shawnee Run Falls. I believe this preserve is highly understated/underutilized - as many in KY are. I know I certainly underestimated it. It had no major strikes, having parts that are easy and difficult, being clean, with facillities at Shaker Village and a map-board WITH brochures available, and no trash on the trails... at all.

I was thoroughly impressed, and I hope you also go out and see this preserve which isn't a KY River Palisades preserve but is close enough :) In the springtime, add a boat ride on the Dixie Bell and maybe a tour, and you've got a fantastic weekend.

Here's a few shots for ya from today:

In case you're curious, this weekend also did the KY Folk Art Center - 92% and Asbury Trails, a very good 95%

You may be curious about other KY scores...
Preservation Level/Pristinity    8.38
Facillities   8.42
Trails &/or Parking   8.73
Views/Vistas/Overlooks   8.87
Historical Data Made Available   8.03
Location Maintenance   8.30
Crowds   9.20
Family Friendly & Accessibility   8.55
Overall Cost   9.36
Revisitibility   7.68

These averages show that KY is very cost-friendly, Family friendly, and lacks crowds... but we need work in other areas to help us reach the A
The large number of D's (endangered) and F's (critical) is obviously a big factor

So: congrats to Shaker Preserve
for a map:
http://shakervillageky.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Trails-Rack-Card.pdf

wsp_scott

• Back Packer
Re: Rare 100% score... (my 1st trip report of 2017)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 03:35:42 PM »

My kids love Shaker Village. Thanks for the map link, I did not realize there were that many trails, looks like I need to do some exploring.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy