Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trip report: Great Smoky Mountains in December  (Read 889 times)

wsp_scott

• Back Packer
Trip report: Great Smoky Mountains in December
« on: December 24, 2016, 05:15:28 PM »

I was able to squeeze in one last backpacking trip in 2016. I headed to the Smokies again with the idea of hitting a popular place when most of the tourists weren't around. I have enjoyed Clingman's Dome this time of year and when it looked like Mt Leconte was going to be packed, I decided that a trip to a new area combined with the highest mountain in the park would be a good way to spend a couple days.

I had never been to the Deep Creek area because my impression is it is swarming with people in the summer. (FWIW, it looks like a great area to take kids, so I will probably check it out next summer). I planned to hike in a bit for the first day and set myself up for the steep climb up to Clingman's Dome and then loop back down. People who have not hiked much in the park often don't realize how much higher the ridge is relative to the low lands. The Deep Creek area is at ~1900' and Clingman's Dome is ~6650' so a lot of elevation, especially with a pack :)

Anyway, here are a couple highlight pictures from Andrew's Bald and Clingman's Dome with a lot more on my blog.

https://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com/2016/12/deep-creek-to-clingmans-dome.html

Captain Blue

• Over Nighter
Re: Trip report: Great Smoky Mountains in December
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 07:37:52 PM »

Stunning photos!

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
Re: Trip report: Great Smoky Mountains in December
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 11:50:48 AM »

Great photos and I enjoyed reading the report on your blog. The pictures from above the clouds are awesome and its such a treat to see that type of scenery.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy