Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chief Red Bird's Cave Trip Report  (Read 1124 times)

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
Chief Red Bird's Cave Trip Report
« on: November 15, 2016, 10:49:57 PM »

2 weekends ago a friend and I went and visited Cherokee Chief Red Bird's cave near to Manchester, KY

Just so you know I do have the exact coords, but on my map I've chosen to just indicate the area. I feel like part of the fun of this was getting some RPS directions (Redneck Positioning System) from a friendly local. He was kind enough to give us country directions to the spot. As per usual with KY Native historic locations there is no respect or protection of the location in the least.
If you want to read about Chief Red Bird (and the Yahoo Massacre), I'll refer you here:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~brockfamily/ChiefRedBird-byKBTankersley.html
and here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bird_River_Petroglyphs
And just to show you what I mean about no protection in the state, check out what they did with Red Bird's petroglyphs which are literally priceless... yes that's right they simply put them out in a picnic shelter setup, rather than an important museum in the state capital or something.

As you may not know, one of the passions of my book will be explaining and listing these sorts of things in the depressingly factual Native American Sites chapter. Wherein I point out that native sites are desecrated and even if the falls has Indian in the name it receives no protection and is full of garbage.

Anyhow, here are a few of my photos from the Red Bird trip:

As you can see my son had fingers in the shot, but that's my back and yes, a man could ostensibly live in this cave.

It's sad that he was murdered (and his friend), but it is even sadder how people treat the cave by carving upon it to where you can barely tell the petropglyphs from the modern glyphs. This site receives, at this point, one of my highest if not highest ratings for need for preservation... iow, it gets a really low score and is easily Endangered. Obviously, trash was a problem as well.

I'd ask that people, in responding below, do NOT share publicly the exact location. Thanks.

laurelwanderer

• Day Hiker
Re: Chief Red Bird's Cave Trip Report
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 08:53:56 PM »

Clay County has some interesting things there that I have heard about but never really explored. I would like to see the Winter Solstice Cave. I think it may have a different name but the History Channel did a show on it which I never have gotten to see. I did however get a chance to look it up and it seemed interesting.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 08:56:02 PM by laurelwanderer »

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 03:49:19 PM »

Clay County has some interesting things there that I have heard about but never really explored. I would like to see the Winter Solstice Cave. I think it may have a different name but the History Channel did a show on it which I never have gotten to see. I did however get a chance to look it up and it seemed interesting.

don't know how I missed this... can you message me a bit more info?

laurelwanderer

• Day Hiker
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 04:15:01 PM »

Here is a video I watched on it some years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVf-hK_h0EQ
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy