Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: designated pee bottle in bear country?  (Read 1155 times)

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
designated pee bottle in bear country?
« on: October 04, 2016, 06:14:43 AM »

So I'm preparing my gear list for my Roan Highlands hike later this month.  We'll be in the heart of bear country.  Any issues in carrying a designated pee bottle to relieve oneself in the middle of the night?  Or would this be like sleeping with your food?

Captain Blue

• Over Nighter
Re: designated pee bottle in bear country?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 10:51:21 PM »

I'm headed to the Roan Highlands tomorrow for about the 10th time. It is definitely in bear county but I would not consider it the "the heart of bear country" especially in the open highlands. Both Tennessee and North Carolina have bear hunting seasons. Bears are pretty skittish in areas where they are hunted. I've never read anywhere where human urine is considered a "smellable" and attracts wildlife Probably just the opposite. I would not worry about. I use a pee bottle too.

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 06:21:29 AM »

That's all I needed to hear.  My extent of bear territory would be the Big South Fork, which hardly counts for much of anything, so i thought I'd check before heading out. 

genes

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
  • The top of the hill
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 09:45:49 AM »

I have seen a number of bears in the BSF particularly around the Bandy Creek area.
Peace

Gene

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 08:12:57 PM »

I've camped all over east and west, north in Canada... never used a pee bottle. The only thing I'd say is if you urinate in the same spot and drink a lot of sugary drinks, it will attract bees and I guess possibly bears. But I have never, ever, heard of this being a thing to worry about. Not debating, just my two cents.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy