Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monroe Lake Kayaking  (Read 1181 times)

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
Monroe Lake Kayaking
« on: August 07, 2016, 05:51:18 PM »

A buddy and I took a 2 night Kayak camping trip out to Monroe Lake this weekend.  We had made a tough decision, which was do we go to Big South Fork for backpacking trip, or do we go for a luxury Kayaking weekend?  We decided to take the easy path, with 2 goals in mind.  Goal #1 - Food.  If we're kayaking, we may as well eat like kings.  Goal #2 - Relax.  Not a bad plan if you ask me.

We decided to launch at the Cutright Boat Ramp, which also has a marina with a few very lightly stocked shelves for last minute "I forgots".

I was inspired for the first time in my life to take a selfie.  The half grin on my face is my knowing how it is going to turn out...

That kayak behind me is my friend, already complaining about the quality of the kayak I loaned him for the weekend.  What I didn't notice were the black clouds beginning to develop behind him.  Within minutes the rain began to come down.  At first light but it picked up quick.  You'd think we'd have made preparations for such things, but nope.  We just got soaked and eventually pulled off to shore and set up a quick tarp shelter to wait out the rain. 

We eventually made our way to camp and enjoyed dinner, which consisted of tortilla wraps stuffed with pepperoni, bacon bits, shredded pepper jack cheese, and marinara sauce.  Of course we wrapped them in foil and heated them up.  Mmmm.

We kicked Saturday morning off with some fishing, then returned for a mid morning breakfast.  Before we left home I had frozen some sausage patties and practiced cooking eggs in freezer bags.  Worked like a charm.  Made multi use of the tortilla wraps & pepper jack, this time with sausage and eggs.  Let me tell you how good that sausage smelled cooking.  Oh yeah.

Prior to our evening fishing, we had one more awesome meal.  My buddy brought a can of chili, which we heated up by the fire as we cooked hot dogs.  After we stuffed our face with chili dogs we discovered the best idea in the history of camping.  Marc opened an individual bag of fritos, then stirred in some chili and shredded cheese.  I guarantee you we will never hike, bike, camp, or paddle again without adding chili to Fritos!  Wow that was good.

There is something about kayaks sitting on a lake shore that just feels like freedom.

We packed up this morning and headed back home.  From the time we decided to break camp, it took less than 4 hours to break down, paddle back to the car, and make the drive home.  Great great little lake for a relaxing weekend on the water.  Of course, this same general area is accessible via the Peninsula Trail.

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
Re: Monroe Lake Kayaking
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 10:16:36 PM »

Monroe Lake is looking good, as usual. A completely underappreciated lake in KY.

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 06:57:20 AM »

Sounds like a wonderful trip.  Ya'll sure ate like kings.

But as for me, I'm allgeric to milk & on a low fat diet and hubby has to stick to low sodium.  :'( 
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 12:47:20 PM »

Awesome trip report! Looks like you all had a blast. Thanks for posting it.

And ShifuCareaga, if this is the Monroe Lake mentioned in a previous post it is in Indiana, near Bloomington.

wsp_scott

• Back Packer
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 07:18:12 PM »

Great report, sounds like a quality trip. Chili dogs sound awesome.

P.S. You discovered "Frito Pie" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frito_pie

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 09:03:18 PM »

Great report, sounds like a quality trip. Chili dogs sound awesome.

P.S. You discovered "Frito Pie" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frito_pie

Wow!  I had no idea.  It's awesome for sure.

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 06:49:10 AM »

Common mistake the lake in KY is Malone not Monroe.
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 06:54:11 PM »

That's exactly what my brain did. Did NOT read for details. lol, thanks for clarification. Strike what I said because I was thinking Lake Malone.

Lizking531

• Over Nighter
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 09:43:35 AM »

Looks like a great trip!

Now that some of my other in-town stuff is settling down - looking forward to getting out again! I still haven't tried putting in at Elkinsville....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy