Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What gear did you carry on your recent trip?  (Read 1163 times)

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
What gear did you carry on your recent trip?
« on: July 14, 2016, 08:12:51 PM »

Not sure how much traction this will gain, as it is a little out of character for this site.  But obviously across the internet there is a lot of interest in what gear is needed and how much weight is being carried.  So I thought I'd see how this goes.  The idea is to create an ongoing thread, where for each trip you would post trip details and the gear you carried.  You could also post after your trip about what gear was unused.  Could be interesting & helpful for trip planning.

So, I'll kick it off.  Tomorrow I'm heading to the Gorge for a 3 day/ 2 night trip.  Nada Valley, Double Arch, Auxier Ridge loop.  40% chance of thunderstorms Saturday night. Overnight low forecast 65F, daily high of 90F.

My gear list:

Backpack: Osprey Exos 48, including top lid.
Sleep system: Eno Doublenest Hammock, Etowah Outfitters 8x10 Silnylon Tarp, 51' paracord including ridgeline, 6'x4' fleece blanket, Therma-Rest Neo Air sleep pad, 18''x12'' baby pillow (luxury item!)
Cook kit: MSR Pocket Rocket, stainless steel mug, spork, small fuel can.
Water filter: Sawyer Mini, 2 water bladders 16oz each (scarce water sources), 2x30oz Smart Waters from the Shell station.
5 lbs food, pocket knife, mace, 2 bic lighters & dryer lint, first aid, bath/personal items.
Eagles Nest Outfitters Speakers, i-Pod, & flask.
Poncho tarp (generic from Walmart), Eddie Bauer windbreaker, long sleeve Under Armor hoodie, 1 extra pair socks & underwear.
Green foam sit pad.
Painters drop cloth gound cover.
2oz old tupperwear bowl
Soduku pages, ink pen, phone charger, camera.

Total weight: 19lb 8oz including food & fuel.  Not including water.  I've worked hard to trim down under 20 lbs, but I do still carry some obvious luxuries (music & drink).  I even carried a sleep pad on this trip, thinking I might play around with some tarp setups. 

« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 08:17:36 PM by KYhiker40 »

wsp_scott

• Back Packer
Re: What gear did you carry on your recent trip?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 09:45:45 PM »

I like the idea of the thread. I'm heading to WV (Dolly Sods) in about 10 days for a 5 night trip. I'll revisit this when I have filled my pack.

Why 51' of paracord? Mace?

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 06:13:06 AM »

I like the idea of the thread. I'm heading to WV (Dolly Sods) in about 10 days for a 5 night trip. I'll revisit this when I have filled my pack.

Why 51' of paracord? Mace?

51' of paracord = 6 x 6' lengths for various tarp uses and 1 x 25' ridgeline.  I forgot to mention that I also hang my food, so there is cordage for that purpose as well.  Probably a bit more than I need, but my goal isn't to get as light as possible.  My goal is to be light enough to be very comfortable, both hiking and in camp.

The mace is in case I run across an animal that has bad intentions.  I'm a runner and have had my share of bad dog experiences.  If I ever encounter such an animal on the trail at least I'll have a good option, rather than being a random statistic.

wsp_scott

• Back Packer
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 07:04:27 PM »

For 5 nights in the Dolly Sods at the end of July, temps forecast to be between 60 and 80, ended being more like 65 and 88.

-Gossamer Gear Mariposa pack
-Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter hammock (did not need the bug net)
-OES MacCat tarp
-Light weight underquilt and top quilt
-Cat food can stove, home made windscreen, a too big/heavy pot, and 8oz denatured alcohol
-Sawyer Mini water filter, 1 liter water bottle from gas station, .9L Evernew bag and a jury rigged gravity system from a MSR 3L Hydromedary bag
-2 mini bic lighters, TP, dried out wet wipes, tiny first aid kit
-5 dinners and 5 breakfasts and tortillas/PB&J for lunch and a bit of GORP (I did not weigh)
-50 ft of Zing-it and a small sack to hang food
-500ml bourbon
-Cell phone and smallish battery pack
-Nikon 5100 and Joby Gorilla pod tripod
-small paperback book
-probably some small things I forgot

total weight without water was 22#
Like KYhiker, I have worked hard to drop weight. I was pleasantly surprised when I weighed my pack since I had my SLR, a case and tiny tripod which together weigh about 3.5 pounds.

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 09:07:07 PM »

For 5 nights in the Dolly Sods at the end of July, temps forecast to be between 60 and 80, ended being more like 65 and 88.

-Light weight underquilt and top quilt

Did you end up needing the top quilt with an overnight low of 65?  I'm constantly trying to decide what to use on top of my body when hammock sleeping.  I've been using a light weight 6x8 fleece blanket all summer, down to about 70, so far EXTREMELY pleased.  But I'm wondering where the limit is. I prefer not to sleep in much clothing during the summer, as i like to hang it to dry out overnight.

wsp_scott

• Back Packer
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 11:15:30 AM »

I did not really need it, but it is so light weight, it doesn't make send to not take it. With minimal clothing, I start looking for some coverage around 65-70.

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 02:24:58 PM »

So I leave in 1 week for a 7 night section hike on the AT, in the Roan Highlands area.  This hike presents some interesting challenges for packing.  To start, most of the hike will be at 3,500 - 4,000 feet of elevation, where we can expect night time lows under 30 degrees most nights.  Second, I've never carried 7 days of food at a time, and I found that this takes up a lot more space in my pack that I estimated.  So, here's what I'm carrying, weighing in at 18 pounds before food, water, and fuel.  Fully loaded with 48 oz water and 7 days food, I'm at 35 pounds.

Osprey Exos 48
8x10 Silnylon tarp (no hammock this time, saving weight)
3x7 ground cloth cut from contractor bag
Thermarest Anteres 20deg down sleeping bag
Thermarest neo air sleeping pad (love this pad!)
Big Agnes insulated air core 48'' sleep pad (i'll explain in a minute)
MSR Pocket Rocket
GSI Outdoor Halulite Minimalist cook pot/mug
GSI Outdoor ultralight coffee mug (I love my coffee. Need to drink while I'm boiling more water.)
Small repair kit, first aid, fire kit, toiletries
Black Diamond head lamp
$1.00 generic Walmart LED backup flashlight.  (weighs about 1 oz.)
Sawyer Mini, 2 Smart Water 24oz bottles, 2 platy's 1 liter each, sawyer back flush

Clothing:
On my body: Eddie Bauer convertible nylon pants, thin Under Armor long sleeve poly hoodie, smart wool socks, hat.

Layering:
Eddie Bauer Freeheat long sleeve polyester pullover
Patagonia Down "sweater"
Eddie Bauer windbreaker
Eddie Bauer rain jacket
Bass Pro Shop rain pants
C9 long sleeve baselayer (sleeping)
New Balance polyester running pants (sleeping)
Alpaca wool socks (sleeping- have you all seen these?? Super light weight and warm!)

Extra clothing:
1 extra UA long sleeve poly hoodie
1 extra pair socks
4 extra under garmets (wouldn't do this on a longer hike, but on his hike I can have the comfort)

Technology:
Eddie Bauer charger pack
HMDX Bluetooth speaker & iPod
Cell phone

That's it.  As you can tell, I like Eddie Bauer.  I find their clothing is inexpensive, high quality, durable, and most of it doubles very well as running gear / hiking gear, which is great for me.

Now for the explanation of the 2nd sleep pad. LOL.  I was going to carry my "luxury" pillow, which weight in at 14oz.  The Big Agnes sleep pad is 20 Oz.  I like to sleep on my stomach with my arms bent to the sides and hands under my head.  When ground sleeping I often wake up with cold arms on the ground, off the sleep pad.  I experimented and found that I can take this Big Agnes sleep pad and turn it sideways under my head, giving me 2 feet on each side of my head for my arms!  I know, ridiculous, but then doubles as a pillow and under the worst care scenario, a spare sleep pad.  It's 20 oz I could skip, but I'm very comfy with an 18 pound base weight. 

7 days countdown to the Mountain Harbor Hostel shuttle!!!  I am ready!

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 06:55:31 AM »

Now for the explanation of the 2nd sleep pad. LOL.  I was going to carry my "luxury" pillow, which weight in at 14oz.  The Big Agnes sleep pad is 20 Oz.  I like to sleep on my stomach with my arms bent to the sides and hands under my head.  When ground sleeping I often wake up with cold arms on the ground, off the sleep pad.  I experimented and found that I can take this Big Agnes sleep pad and turn it sideways under my head, giving me 2 feet on each side of my head for my arms!  I know, ridiculous, but then doubles as a pillow and under the worst care scenario, a spare sleep pad.  It's 20 oz I could skip, but I'm very comfy with an 18 pound base weight. 

Ok, so I eliminated this ridiculousness. I slept in my system last night, found that a 2'x3' green foam sit pad does the trick when placed properly.  Shaved 16oz.  Down to a base weight of 17 lbs!

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 07:41:56 AM »

Alpaca wool socks (sleeping- have you all seen these?? Super light weight and warm!)

I can't wear (sheep) wool...itching & rash makes me crazy!! (well crazier than I already am).  Is the alpaca wool less itchy?
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 07:06:47 PM »

I can't wear (sheep) wool...itching & rash makes me crazy!! (well crazier than I already am).  Is the alpaca wool less itchy?

I've tried to wear a lambs wool sweater as a layer over a short sleeve tee, but the lambs wool itches me crazy.  The alpaca wool is soft and silky.  I love it for sleeping.  The stitch pattern in my alpaca socks probably wouldn't hold up well to wearing as a hiking sock, but for sleeping in cold weather these are perfect.  And the weight is significantly lighter than my smart wool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy