Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hiking pants review  (Read 943 times)

Alphagoose

• Day Hiker
Hiking pants review
« on: December 12, 2015, 11:06:01 PM »

I am a little past my 30 days of testing, and perhaps there is a more appropriate place to post this review...but I mentioned it in the hiking forum and feel it's best to follow up here as well.

Under Armor Storm1 outdoor pants. REVIEW:
Test Duration: @ 45 days
Cost: $80 +
I have put these pants through the ringer. I wore them every day while hiking, deer hunting, running my trapline, outdoor photography, and construction work for seven days straight. (Yes, I did change underwear). At the end of week one I washed them four times back to back with everything on high heat. While some of the stains did not come out, they did not shrink any. Over the next five weeks i wore these pants at least 5 days a week.Overall they are definitely built well, but I did notice some flaws. Let's start with what I liked...
PRO'S: very well built. Material isn't quite waterproof, but they repel splashed water well. During rain they slowly become wet, yet dry very fast. The material has a small amount of stretch to it. The stretch is noticed when you find yourself in a bind, or exploring the limits of your flexibility....and appreciated. The small pocket on the left leg is handy, and is rather seamless. It's fits tight to the leg and isn't noticeable when not in use. They are highly abrasion resistant. Tearing through briars didn't phase them. And they are relatively lightweight.
CONS: first off, they cost over $80 bucks. The biggest issue I have with the Under Armor Storm1 pants, (besides price) is that I always carry a leatherman, and often I pack a 380 pistol. Both of which attach to my belt...and these pants simply don't have enough belt loops to properly support my leatherman...much less a pistol too. The flexibility of the material makes it especially critical to have enough belt loops to hold up your "accessories".  They have 6 loops. Two of which are dead center above your butt in the back, and spaced within 3 inches of one another. So effectively... These pants have 5 belt loops. I have never thought about how important enough belt loops were, until these pants. I actually cut one of the rear loops off and sewed it above my front right pocket to better support my pistol. I don't know if it works or not...yet. The lack of loops and the flexibility of the material cause everything on my belt, to sag and droop downward. This is a major inconvenience for me.
THE VERDICT: while built well and comfortable...seemingly durable...The lack of enough belt loops in combination with them being made of the same flexible pants material, they simply do not work for carrying any tools on your belt such as a multi tool or a pistol. This is a deal breaker for me. However, if you don't wear a belt, or don't carry anything on your belt...and are accustomed to buying higher end, more expensive clothing...then I think you will be hard pressed to find any other faults with them.

KyDan

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
    • KyDan's garden and hiking pages
Re: Hiking pants review
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 08:51:21 AM »

IF you are hanging all that weight on your belt why are you blaming the pants belt loops??
Sounds like you want the pants to hold up the belt!
If you are using a light weight web belt you need to get a leather belt or stiff Army surplus
belt.  When we hike I often wear a fanny pack with two water bottles and in summer it might
contain a blue ice pack and soft drink for lunch as well as sandwiches snacks etc.  I use
tool belt suspenders to hold that AND GPS and camera up!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 08:53:34 AM by KyDan »
.....and your little dog TOTO too!
Dan D.
Louisville KY  good ole USA
Visit my dayhiking page!
 http://ky-dan.com

Alphagoose

• Day Hiker
Re: Hiking pants review
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 11:56:02 PM »

In comparison to my $15 dollar Walmart pants (which hold my gun and leatherman with no problem), these $80 under Armor belt loops have too much stretch. Imagine wearing blue jeans but having all the belt loops made from spandex. That's basically what it's like. The belt I wear is a leather dickies belt about an inch and a half wide.., but the belt loops can't hold the belt with my gun where the belt and gun should be. I feel if I am giving a review of them, then all things...Both good and bad should be noted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy