Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gear storage  (Read 1037 times)

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
Gear storage
« on: November 04, 2015, 09:49:18 AM »

I know we don't generally have these types of topics on the site, but there seem to be an influx of new people here lately so I thought I'd share my latest project.  Like many backpackers, I've accumulated a TON of gear over the years, most of which I actually use from time to time and don't want to just dispose of.  Which leaves the question of where to store it all???

So, my wife and I have an old "coal room" in our basement, which is basically an 8'x8' closet that hasn't been used for much of anything other than storing junk.  So, after a big yard sale to clear out the space, I took it over as a gear closet.

My goal with the closet was to have easy access to gear and a convenient place to get organized for trips.  I put all of my tents on shelves, which food pre organized in clear containers, and all my maps organized in bins at my fingertips.

Sold old cabinets serve for storage of car camping items underneath, with all the gear I use for backpacking trips ready to go.  Hammocks & sleep pads hang ready to go, with fire / water treatment / toiletries / light / luxury items in bins so nothing gets missed.

I hung a rod across the ceiling to hang my clothes and 3 season sleeping bags / underquilt.  It's great to have space for everything to quickly unpack and dry out after a trip.

Finally, a couple of totes on the floor hold all my tarps (quite a collection) and the multitude of backpacks hang on the wall. 

Some of you might wonder why so much gear?  The crazy thing is that I use it all.  I frequently outfit friends for trips, as well as my wife & son who backpack with me a couple times per year.  I must admit it feels pretty cool to have such a great space for my obsession. 

I even hung a map of the Gorge on the back wall, so I can stand with my cup of coffee and dream of my plans for another trip.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 09:51:31 AM by KYhiker40 »

Ewker

• Over Nighter
Re: Gear storage
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 11:39:06 AM »

Nice setup you have there. I wish I had that much room to store everything. All of my gear goes upstairs in bags or containers.
Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 01:56:19 PM »

Some of you might wonder why so much gear?  The crazy thing is that I use it all.  I frequently outfit friends for trips, as well as my wife & son who backpack with me a couple times per year.  I must admit it feels pretty cool to have such a great space for my obsession. 

I even hung a map of the Gorge on the back wall, so I can stand with my cup of coffee and dream of my plans for another trip.

You remind me of me  :) . . . I had a map of the RRG on the wall in the gear room of my apartment in Stanton, with places I'd camped and routes I'd hike marked on it.

I've had separate "gear rooms" in the last three places I've lived. Prior to that I lived in a tiny attic apartment near Woodland Park in Lexington, which was pretty much one big gear room . . . a few bikes, a kayak, backpacking gear, etc. all in maybe 500 square feet. I lived very frugally there to save money to buy more gear ;D

I'll try to post some pictures of my current gear room after I take some pictures; great idea for a thread!

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 07:03:23 PM »

Geez!!!  I don't have enough gear!!!! 8)

The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

Captain Blue

• Over Nighter
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 11:38:45 AM »

Nice setup! I store my sleeping bags in a mesh laundry bag or the storage bag they came with. My tents go in a mesh laundry bag too. I never store either in their stuff sack for more than a short period of time. I store my items in a cool and dry place.

Betania

• Day Hiker
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 01:57:52 PM »

New life goal.
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. - John Muir

Navigator

• Day Hiker
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 02:43:22 PM »

I am extremely jealous. Been wanting to make a map room for a long time. Daughter won,t move out!
Today I have grown taller for walking with the trees. Emerson
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy