Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Outdoor clothing  (Read 1169 times)

Alphagoose

• Day Hiker
Outdoor clothing
« on: October 29, 2015, 10:44:32 PM »

I have always bought and wore the tan colored dickies pants( or something similar) because of the price, and relative durability. I have worked in them, and used them for many occasions. If they are new and clean...then that's what I call dress pants. Functionality trumps appearance in my book. And thus far these pants have done just fine outdoors hunting or hiking or fishing...whatever.
I have never done a multi-day, multi-week solo hike/camping trip either. And I do see where my typical clothing choices may not be ideal for something like this. So...I set out to get a pair of pants suitable for hiking and wet chilly weather conditions. I get to the strore and Comb through the suitable "hiking" pants and see a few I liked. I think one was Columbia, one was an Under Armor...and I believe the others were called 501's. I almost fell over when I saw the price. They ranged from $54.99 all the way to $79.99. For $hit$ and giggles I tried them on. Of course the $80 dollar pants are the ones that fit the best. I thought...hey maybe that's what American made quality costs. Then opened the pants to see a sticker saying "made in indionesia". WOW. I am certainly not tight but i just couldnt help being apprehensive about buying clothing that is this expensive. Yes...I did buy them. I can just imagine everyone at the store laughing after I walked out thinking to themselves, " we got him". But anyway..I have never done a review on a product. Until now. I am going to put these $80 dollar Under Armor Storm1 pants through the mill, and I will give you an honest opinion on how they did. Ill post in about thirty days after I get back from a multi-week hike.  Will try to post pics.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 10:50:24 PM by Alphagoose »

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
Re: Outdoor clothing
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 06:15:07 AM »

Hiking pants are expensive!!!  I've never bought a pair so can't comment about durability.  I've shopped for ladies pants, but the pockets are small (& I carry lots in my pockets).  I don't care about being stylish, so I wear mens Wrangler cargo pants.   I prefer the pants with 1 large pocket on the right & 3 smaller pockets on the left side.  Because of the bushwhacking, I wish they were made from heavier fabric.
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 07:03:40 AM »

I'm looking forward to hearing how these pants work for you on a month long trip.

I have several pair of hiking pants, but mine are all the nylon material that zip to convert from pants to shorts.  In other words, they are thin and only good for 3 seasons.  In the past, I've layered my pants with a full length base layer if it was really cold.  But, just a few weeks ago, I purchased my first true pair of hiking pants from an 80% clearance rack at Eddie Bauer.  I'm looking forward to seeing how they play out for me over the winter season.

groundhogday

• Day Hiker
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 05:38:11 AM »

I really like the Dickies work cargo pants that are sold at Walmart.  They're somewhere in the $20/pair range, have extra pockets as all cargo pants do, and are much lighter and more durable than denim.  I'll be interested to see if shelling out big $$$$ for these was worthwhile.

Alphagoose

• Day Hiker
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 10:51:33 PM »

Well kyhiker40, my plans for a start to finish sheltowee have been changed. I thought about what you and bazinga and others said and decided to go to the northern terminus and just hike for a day...camp out, to test all my gear...and hike back out. Like I mentioned before, I don't have a lot of camping experience. So I have several camp outs planned this month. First...an overnighter in the sheltowee. Next week I am camping in a game preserve not too far from where I live. Then going back to the red river gorge area with a buddy. I am not sure exactly what part of the Trace that I can ride an ATV on...but when I find out we intend to do an overnight atv.
 As far as my overnight on the Trace...i started at north terminus and took off. I have my dog leading me, and several downed trees had to be negotiated. It started out good, but several areas of the trail weren't marked very well. Or if they were...the trees had fell. So long story short...I got lost. Several trails intersect, and I apparently veered off on the wrong one. Next thing I know I am at the bottom of this massive knob (small mountain) and the trail that appeared to be a trail turned into a horse path. Checking my GPS I saw that I was directly below the trail. That was a job having to blaze up the side of one of those knobs. After two gruelling hours of sight seeing, I hit the trail and camped (that's a whole different topic there) LOL. I made it back out and learned a lot. Those. $80 dollar pants took a beating. They are water resistant not waterproof. But did well repelling splashed water. One of the best things about them I think...is that they are somewhat stretchy. They aren't like spandex, but they do have a definite "give" to them that helps when you have to take that extra large stride. They look to be made of some type of rip-stop material. The Trace has saw briars everywhere. I could hear the briars on my pants, but ultimately they were unscathed. There is no doubt that the quality is high. But is it $80 bucks high? Ill let you know...

And yes groundhogday. When I said dickies...that's the type I buy. The $15 dollar Walmart dickies. I just said dickies for sake of explanation. But really...I like them better than the brand name dickies. They are lighter and are just easier to move in...in my opinion.

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 07:22:41 AM »

Don't feel bad for getting turned around and "lost" on the Trace.  In my experience one of the most difficult things about backpacking trips is navigation.  In spots that are very lightly used, it can be hard to find the trail due to overgrowth.  In spots that are heavily used, there are often a ton of side trails that can be easy to accidentally follow when the main trail turns.  I think the years of hiking through the Gorge have made me a thousand times better at navigation, as it becomes a lot more instinctive to follow the trail. 

Give it a few more overnight or multinight trips and you will quickly begin to see things you didn't see (like game trails) and quickly wonder how you ever made those mistakes on your first couple of hikes.

ATV?  You might be able to ride south of the Gorge up past White's Arch and back.  Check the regs, but I think its allowed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy