Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camping from a motorcycle...  (Read 1846 times)

groundhogday

• Day Hiker
Camping from a motorcycle...
« on: October 27, 2015, 02:57:31 AM »

I've got this idea that next year I want to ride to Grayson Highlands one day, spend the next day hiking to Mt Rogers and back, then ride home on the third day.  Being on a smallish motorcycle, what are the suggestions for camping?  Keep in mind that I won't need any provisions for cooking, I think I should be able to pack very light.  I ask this because I have literally no camping gear, but would like to start doing more than day hikes and do more camping on motorcycle trips.

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
Re: Camping from a motorcycle...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 11:17:20 AM »

If money is not a concern, then I'd treat your trip no different than a backpacking trip.  A single night backpacking with a minimal set up could easily fit into a 30 liter pack, probably even a 20 liter pack.  My ideal setup would be a hammock, tarp, and underquilt / sleep pad, and sleeping bag.

If this is more of a test run and you don't want to drop much money, given that you are only talking one night and have no gear at this time, I'd probably just set up a simple lien to shelter using an 8x10 tarp.  A closed cell foam pad from Walmart will work well for a sleep pad.  You basically have a shelter for less than $20.  Depending on the season a fleece blanket from home would work in lieu of a sleeping bag down to about 65 - 70 deg F, if you sleep in your clothes.

I know that is a very vague answer, but hopefully it gets the discussion moving.  What did you have in mind?

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 12:51:16 PM »

If money is not a concern, then I'd treat your trip no different than a backpacking trip.

This is great advice; just figure out a budget and head to an outdoors store (preferably locally-owned) and get the gear.

When I began combing bicycling with backpacking, there really was no gear investment I needed to make other than panniers for my bike. All that changes is how you get to the trailhead/campsite. Any quality backpacking gear will be ideal for your purposes.

groundhogday

• Day Hiker
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 04:28:22 PM »

I'm hoping to start picking things up one piece at a time via Craigslist, ebay, etc.  Hopefully I can get better gear by going used.  We really don't have a local outdoor store, unless you count Walmart.  I'm not positive what the campgrounds at the park allow in terms of shelters, but but I was thinking maybe a hammock/tarp combo.  A quick local grocery run the day I arrive should have me covered for food, so that shouldn't be part of my travel load.  I have a fairly large set of soft saddle bags (not sure of size), a 15 liter tail bag, and a small tank bag, so hopefully using a combination of these plus maybe a dry bag and bungee cords should give me more than enough cargo space.  I'd planned to just use my small hydration pack for the hike itself.  It has ample room for a day's supply of food, first aid kit, rain gear, etc.

Captain Blue

• Over Nighter
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 07:37:20 PM »

Overall I am impressed with the outdoor gear that Walmart sells under their Outdoor Products brand. I don't get gear there myself, except for their 3-pack dry bags, but I do hike with people that do. They tend to be happy with it. The gear is heavier but a lot less expensive.

From what I see the used gear that is sold online is usually older and heavier. That is unless you frequent the right boards, know what you want and are ready to pounce once something nice gets listed.

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 07:57:20 PM »

Be sure to check out www.steepandcheap.com

Very good values.  I've bought a few items from them.

groundhogday

• Day Hiker
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 05:42:41 AM »

I actually have one of the Outdoor Products hydration packs.  It's just the right size for day hikes.  I really like it, but one of the chest straps came unsewn the very first time I used it.  They have a lifetime warranty, but the particular one I got appears to be discontinued, and I haven't found another model that's similar to it to exchange for.  I was going to sew the strap back on, but lost it somewhere.  I figured with it coming from Walmart it might be junk, but they're also sold on Amazon and their stuff all seemed to be well reviewed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy