Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hemlock Cliffs (IN) 10/1/15  (Read 1035 times)

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
Hemlock Cliffs (IN) 10/1/15
« on: October 25, 2015, 04:21:44 PM »

I went car camping with the family at Patoka lake earlier this month.  I didn't realize we had such a nice area this close to home.  We stayed at a fisherman's camp site, right on the water.  I was very impressed with the entire area and nearby facilities.  I will definitely be returning to this area with my kayak for some fishing and camping.  Anyhow, on the way home we stopped off at Hemlock Cliffs for a day hike.  I'd never been here and was also impressed with the quality of this area.

Hemlock Cliffs is basically a 2 mile (?) loop hike that follows a stream bed with view of a ridge line.  The area is quite unique for Hoosier National Forest and could be very nice for some short 1 night backpacking trips.

Trailhead

Stairs and ridge headed down to the stream

We explored some away from the trail (of course) and found what would be a waterfall in wet weather:

...and an actual cave:

A few treeline pics:

Fish were abundant in the nearly dry creek beds and deer were plentiful.  I'd like to return again in wet weather season.  I bet this area could be spectacular.  Either way, it was a very nice day hike and one everyone should do at some point.

That is all.

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
Re: Hemlock Cliffs (IN) 10/1/15
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 07:51:54 PM »

Hemlock Cliffs is a beautiful and well used.  And yes. it is a nice little waterfall in the summer (bigger in spring).

The whole Hoosier forest area is very well maintained.
The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

Lizking531

• Over Nighter
Re: Hemlock Cliffs (IN) 10/1/15
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 04:18:19 PM »

there's some really neat stuff (small cave with a posted sign Native American Archeology site, an arch with an ATV trail thru it, steps going up the ridge carved into stone) back off the main trail, pick up the ATV trails & head towards the back corner, or go in via the forest road past the main entrance (admittedly that road seemed a little sketchy the 1 time I did it)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy