Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two Lakes Loop (IN) 10/22/15  (Read 1764 times)

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
Two Lakes Loop (IN) 10/22/15
« on: October 23, 2015, 04:14:35 PM »

I had some time to spare yesterday and decided to take a short overnight trip back to the Indiana Celina Lake area of Hoosier National Forest.  My last visit to this trail was in May 2013 and given that I've spent most of my October in the HNF I thought it fitting that I'd finish off with the most obvious choice.  Honestly, I needed a small break from the ridge line views of the Gorge, and with the HNF so close to home it was an obvious way to spend my last few hiking trips.

The Two Lakes Loop is approx a 13 mile total look around Celina Lake Indian Lake.  I was in the mood for some very leisurely hiking and fishing, so I decided to cut the loop in half and just hike the Indian Lake portion of the loop.  I parked in the last connector trail parking lot and headed in the direction of the Indian Lake Dam. 

I'd forgotten how boring the first 2 miles of this hike are and I was just starting to regret my decision to come here when I caught my first lake view. 

The weather was amazing and I immediately remembered why I enjoy this hike.  The lake views are awesome.  Then I was gifted with another surprise... the grass on top of the dam was cut short!!!  If you've ever hiked this trail with knee high grass, you understand my excitement.

With such perfect weather I took the time to walk down to the water.  The view across the lake shows the shore from which I would eventually set up camp and do some fishing.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 04:16:54 PM by KYhiker40 »

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
Re: Two Lakes Loop (IN) 10/22/15
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 04:41:42 PM »

As I crossed over the dam the views of the lake were amazing.  It was super quiet, very little noise or activity at all on a Thursday late afternoon.  Just a couple fishing boats, with electric motors only on the small lake, providing a nice back drop to the view.

It is at about the 2 mile mark that I crossed the dam and decided to set up camp for the night. 

cont...

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 04:58:13 PM »

The next morning I spent a few hours just walking the banks around Indian Lake and fishing.  I had my small backpacking rod & reel with me and a few grubs.  It took a while, with a number of missed strikes, but I finally reeled in the big one off this bank.

I did some exploring around the tailwaters area, tryed some luck at fishing the tailwaters, but nothing happening.  I did get some nice sunrise views. 

The hike itself was a welcome change.  Very few eye sore camp sites and easy to follow trails.  In fact, it would be extremely difficult to get lost on this loop.  I bet a 4 year old could navigate this one.

Around the backside of the dam the Two Lakes Loop actually shares trail with the America Discovery Trail for about 1 mile.  I don't know much about the ADT, but this part of the hike feels more remote with lots of wildlife and natural scenery. 

cont...

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 05:01:34 PM »

There is a nice little bridge where the Two Lakes Loop separates from the ADT.  Normally this area is knee deep, but you can see that today all the creeks were virtually dry.

Lake view from the opposite ridge:

There are rocks in Indiana, just not many:

Typical trail:

The mighty Tigress River crossing (dry):

One final pic before arriving back at the car:

Overall, this was a very enjoyable hike for this time of year.  One more bonus... not a single tic!

That is all.

genes

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
  • The top of the hill
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 01:33:44 PM »

This is one of my favorite hiking areas; virtually no people.  There is also a waterfall near Indian Lake.  It is off trail but easy to find.
Peace

Gene

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 03:18:43 PM »

This is one of my favorite hiking areas; virtually no people.  There is also a waterfall near Indian Lake.  It is off trail but easy to find.

I was going to head over to check out Jason Falls, but given the totally dry creek beds I figured I'd be wasting my time.  I've yet to go looking, although I do have the location on topo and it does appear to be fairly fool proof.  I've always figured they would be best seen during the rain season, which is unfortunately also tick season.  As a rule of thumb, I don't go near this trail in tick season.  It's ridiculous.

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 08:41:24 PM »

Thanks for posting this trip, brought back a lot of memories . . . some of my earliest backpacking trips were at Indian and Celina Lakes, I think I've done the loop three times, but shortcutted it once.

I think it is a delightful hike, especially with nice fall color. I remember the first time I did I thought I had REALLY accomplished something, and I suppose I had . . .

So, since you were kind enough to share your spider story in another thread I will tell my own tale of woe and misery in the Indian and Celina Lakes area. I was backpacking Labor Day weekend of 2008 in that area and we camped near the rocks in your picture. I got the worst chiggers I have ever had in my entire life . . . I swear, my skin wasn't right for MONTHS afterwards. So not exactly a fond memory from that picture haha.

KyDan

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
    • KyDan's garden and hiking pages
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 09:29:57 AM »

We've camped there several times over the years but we are tin tent campers.
Just had to chime in to say there are alternatives to sleeping on the ground!!
We were there last  2 years ago just a couple days before Halloween 2013.
Weather was perfect with nearly frosty mornings but warm afternoon sun.
As I recall the dam had been mowed fairly recently then too.
No chiggers on our ankles this time but did get some several years ago on a
spring hike.
The south face camp ground is our favorite but we have been in both several times.
I imagine the bath house is shut for the season now as it was when we were there
in 2013.

We've done the loop trails in years past where we had to search for walk on the rocks crossings in several places
to keep dry boots but not on the trip in the photos.  It was dry then as you show in your photos.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 09:32:16 AM by KyDan »
.....and your little dog TOTO too!
Dan D.
Louisville KY  good ole USA
Visit my dayhiking page!
 http://ky-dan.com

KyDan

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
    • KyDan's garden and hiking pages
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 09:34:13 AM »

Not sure how the garmin shows max speed 7 mph because I guarantee we did NOT run on
that or any hike!!
It sure is nice to get back to "camp" and enjoy a cold beer in a comfy chair!
.....and your little dog TOTO too!
Dan D.
Louisville KY  good ole USA
Visit my dayhiking page!
 http://ky-dan.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy