Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chickasaw Bluff Trail 10/9/15  (Read 856 times)

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
Chickasaw Bluff Trail 10/9/15
« on: October 15, 2015, 05:06:55 PM »

My wife and I were in Memphis TN for the Foo Fighters concert last week.  I had originally planned to go hike a section of the Ozark Trail, but our plans called for something closer to Memphis.  After some research, I found the Chickasaw Bluff Trail located at Meeman-Shelby Forest along the Mississippi River, as a featured trail in Backpacker Magazine. 

I've learned over the years not to get overly excited just because Backpacker Magazine says a trail is nice, so I had modest expectations.  I was really just looking for a nice place to car camp for a couple nights and some trails to hike.  This trail did the trick.  I wouldn't suggest jumping in your car for a 5 hour drive from Louisville to hike this one, but if you happen to be in Memphis it is a great camp ground and a worthy day hike. 

The trail was very well marked and easy to follow, however, a topo map was available in the welcome station, as were vending machines.  There is also a nice general store nearby.

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
Re: Chickasaw Bluff Trail 10/9/15
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 05:08:21 PM »

We used the Woodland Trail as a connector trail from the camp site.  There were some nice stream crossings on this trail, as well as some interesting river cane (?) that surrounded the trail, providing a very different visual stimulation from the typical woodland hikes in Kentucky.

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 05:11:03 PM »

After connecting with the Chickasaw Bluff Trial, we hiked in the direction of the Pioneer Springs.  There were some interesting bridge crossings and the springs themselves served as a nice spot to stop for a rest.  Immediately following the springs I spotted what was "obviously" a no longer used connector trail that went straight uphill.  My wife cursed my name the entire accent, but it did serve as a nice connector allowing us to keep this hike under 8 miles in total loop length without just turning around.

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 05:13:21 PM »

There was also an interesting plaque at the Woodland Shelter on our return hike, as well as a very intimidating spider throwing a party with a couple dozen friends of similar size.

If I'm ever in Memphis again during the rainy season I may return to this trail.  It appears that some short side excursions could provide some nice views of the Mississippi River.

That is all.

RCKT_RCCN

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 08:28:09 AM »

Thanks for the trip report! I have some friends who live in Memphis who used to be our hiking partners. Good to know when we visit there is a trail nearby!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy