Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sheltowee thru hike in november  (Read 1460 times)

Alphagoose

• Day Hiker
Sheltowee thru hike in november
« on: October 11, 2015, 09:26:31 PM »

This is my first post on this site, and one of only a handful anywhere...so I apologize if this isn't the appropriate place to post about this topic. But anyway, I am planning on doing a through hike of the Sheltowee Trace this November. Other than my dog I will be going it alone. I have never done anything like this before and I am trying to work out the logistics of my hike. I am guesstimating that I can pack about a seven day supply of food. I have conservatively figured that I should need to resupply about every 75 miles. I will be going from north to south. I figure that the first 75 mile resupply should put me near Wellington, or Botts. At 150 miles my nearest resupply should be near Livingston, and my last resupply at around 225 miles should be near Whitley city. Does anyone have any experience with this hike along with having to resupply? I am planning on mailing my food when I head out. Does anyone know how I should address my packages? And last...does anyone familiar with this area see any problems with my maildrop locations?  I am from KY, but I'm a pretty good ways from that area, and I am not familiar with any of the small towns. Heck, when I look at the map I am not sure what's listed is even a town. Kinda like where I live I guess. Any help is greatly appreciated.

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
Re: Sheltowee thru hike in november
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 07:31:51 AM »

Unfortunately I can't help with your specific questions, but not being familiar with the extent of your research I thought I'd add just a little local knowledge to your hike. 

The Sheltowee north of Red River Gorge was rerouted recently and seems to continuously get longer.  The new "outrageGIS" topo maps http://www.outragegis.com/ are a great source if you haven't used them.

You say you are hiking with your dog.  Be aware that Dogs are not permitted in the Natural Bridge area of the Red River Gorge.  The Sheltowee passes through this area.  I can't speak for other areas along the Sheltowee.

I would also encourage you to consider opportunities for side excursions as you pass through the Red River Gorge.  There are many awesome geological features that could add anywhere from a few hours to a couple of days to your hike if you choose.  At bare minimum, as you plan the Red River Gorge section of this hike, I would encourage you to post here or send me (and others) a PM.  We can help you with locating some of these features.

copper creek

• Thru Hiker
  • I hope my knees hold out
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 11:55:49 AM »

Alphagoose

• Day Hiker
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 09:22:44 PM »

I appreciate the advice..and the links. I too have read somewhere that dogs aren't allowed in natutal bridge area. But just yesterday I was reading something specifically on the red river gorge area and it said that its a great place to hike with your dog. Perhaps I am confusing the areas. I read the post talking of a thru hike...in which the posted link took me to...and he said that he saw signs in this area that said dogs are not allowed. He chanced it without problems. I also had someone tell me that as long as it was during the week, and I clean up after my dog, that I shouldn't have a problem. I am not sure exactly what to do yet. I hate to miss out on that part of the hike. Ill burn that bridge when I get there. Once again I appreciate it. Perhaps I will post of my adventure as well.

copper creek

• Thru Hiker
  • I hope my knees hold out
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 11:19:17 PM »

You can take your dog through the RRG area except for the NBSP trails.  That is probably about 4 miles of trails where dogs are not officially permitted (from Whittleton Branch to Sand Gap).

genes

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
  • The top of the hill
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 09:31:36 AM »

There are other forums that deal specifically with the Sheltowee Trace.  I would think there have been people who have through hiked it with dogs.  However, there are a couple of well read trip reports of ST through hikes where the dog had to leave the trail because of various problems.

I have personally backpacked most of the ST (except the northern portion from the RRG to Morehead) and I know of numerous spots where there would have been issues had I had a dog with me.  There are lots of steep steps, ladders, crevices, rock hops, etc.  The Tennessee portion is especially not dog friendly because of the obstacles.

I have twice run into backpackers, in the TN portion, who had lost their dogs while attempting some of these obstacles and were frantic.  Arthur, Jason and I, while hiking out from Charit Hostel, found someone's lost dog and it followed us for miles before pairing off with another backpacking couple.
With that said, ten years ago this month I ran into another backpacker in the TN portion who had his dog with him.  The dog had saddle bags strapped to him so he could carry his own food supply. 
Peace

Gene

Alphagoose

• Day Hiker
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 10:16:45 PM »

Thanks for all the input guys. (And perhaps gals too). Yeah genes...I have contemplated that very scenario. I would be quite frantic myself. I have took all the precautions that I possibly could in preperation for this hike...in regards to my dog tagging along. I am not assuming others haven't done the same thing, but we have done much work in the obedience aspect of training. Many small hikes as practice. And even still, I don't plan on taking him off lead at all. Its good to know that there are some spots which could present a challenge for me and my dog though. Before now, I had no first hand knowledge of this. Slow and steady I suppose.  Thanks again

Alphagoose

• Day Hiker
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 10:22:22 PM »

And I know exactly what kind of saddle bag pack your talking about. Mine came in the mail last week. My dog will be packing his food, water, and spare lead.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy