Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cave Run Lake to Bison - anybody done this?  (Read 1383 times)

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
Cave Run Lake to Bison - anybody done this?
« on: September 05, 2015, 06:57:39 AM »

I have some time off next week and I'm kicking around a section hike of the Sheltowee.  I'm looking at the trail from Cave Run Lake to the Bison trail head in the Gorge.  Right now it's just a nagging idea in my head... may decide on something else, but I'm wondering if anyone here has done this.  Any input on the trail conditions?  My one reservation is that the Sheltowee exiting the State Park towards White's Arch was in horrible overgrown condition last month.  I'd be miserable if this section 43+ mile hike was that overgrown.

Anyone? 

groundhogday

• Day Hiker
Re: Cave Run Lake to Bison - anybody done this?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 11:00:01 AM »

The only section I've been on lately was from Clear Creek Lake south towards Furnace Arch, about a month ago.  I wouldn't say it was terribly overgrown.  I was hiking in shorts and my legs didn't get scratched up or anything.  It was weedy enough in places I'd recommend some insect repellent.  There were several (maybe a half dozen?) trees across the trail, but nothing that couldn't be easily walked around.

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 08:56:15 PM »

Unless it has been re-routed, and I believe there are actually plans to re-route it, there is a 5-mile section or so that is road walking on Hwy. 77. Road walking, especially on pavement, is no fun at all. So be aware of that. More info can be found here -- http://www.sheltoweetrace.org/home.html  It looks like some of the road walk was re-routed more onto the shoulder, but there is still going a good bit of time spent pounding the pavement.

Now, to open a can of worms:

"Plans in 2015 call for the movement of the Trace off Tarr Ridge Road in the Cumberland District and into the Clifty Wilderness. This will cut 5 miles of road walk off the Trace and open up new areas of the Daniel Boone National Forest to foot traffic." -- From the Sheltowee Trace Association website.

I have mixed feelings about this. Do we really need to open up more areas of the DBNF in the RRG to foot traffic -- especially given that foot traffic in the RRG is already at a premium? I understand the idea of spreading people out, but adding another trail corridor to a wilderness area in Kentucky just doesn't sit well with me for some reason . . . it just fragments these already tiny places further.

That said, there are already pretty well-established horse trails in that general area of Clifty, so if they're just going to superimpose this trail on top of that, then no big deal I guess.

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 05:53:48 AM »

It's funny how 2 people can see the same situation from the opposite perspective.  Granted, I haven't given much thought to this... but I've generally felt that an area the size of RRG with the popularity of RRG should have more official trails available to spread out the foot traffic.  Let's give some of these weekenders without maps some additional places to walk.

Given the unofficial trails which are already well established, the horse trails, and the ATV trails, it shouldn't be that difficult to find acceptable locations.  Then we'd take these same people and disperse them across a wider area. 

Or, as Mark W believes, I could be wrong and we'd wind up with more folks ruining more places, getting more lost, falling off more cliffs, leaving behind more trash, and generally being more of a nuisance.

::) Let's chance it.  Let's start by connecting Auxier Ridge to Ravens Rock like should have been done 60 years ago.

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 07:47:12 PM »

::) Let's chance it.  Let's start by connecting Auxier Ridge to Ravens Rock like should have been done 60 years ago.

Definitely!

I also think that connecting Swift Camp Creek Trail to Hwy. 715 near the lower Swift Camp Creek parking area and the concrete bridge would be a great connection to make -- would allow for a great loop by starting at Rough Trail/SCC on Hwy. 715, Swift Camp Creek Trail to Osborne Bend, to Lost Branch, to the ST, then back on Rough Trail to the parking lot. I believe that, similar to the Auxier Ridge/Raven Rock connector, that this was planned at one point but scrapped for whatever reason.

In regard to re-routing the ST through Clifty Wilderness, I might as well continue playing Devil's Advocate now that I've started, so here goes . . .

You make valid points about adding more official trails and spreading out the foot traffic, but for various reasons I don't really see that as solving the problem. As you have alluded to in other posts, the most likely solution is (unfortunately) more restrictions and permits, not more trails.

I guess my main objection is that adding another trail in a wilderness area (of which the East has so few to begin with) simply diminishes the "wilderness" quality of the area (the SCC to lower Hwy. 715 connector is small, right next to a highway, and already has a user-trail -- just so I don't appear to be contradicting myself with a good reason). I'd just rather not see a 12,000 acre wilderness have another 5 miles of trail put in to it. Just my opinion and I enjoy the discussion -- always good to think about why you are for or against something.

Aside from that specific item, I do think that there is a limit to how many trails can or should be put in a given area. I think that the RRG certainly needs a few more user-trails made into official trails (Douglas Trail, Hansons Point, Indian Staircase Loop, Adena Ridge/Arch, and Turtle Back Arch/SCC overlook all come to mind), as well as more restrictions in regard to backcountry camping.

However, I think we have all hiked at places that have too many trails -- where you can't hike more than a few hundred yards without hitting a junction or being within spitting distance of another trail. Certain state parks/city parks are really bad about this and I've never found it enjoyable as you're not really seeing anything new.

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 10:20:47 PM »

I only object to them doing it, and then forgetting about it and it becoming a trash heap. If they could maintain what they have already then I'd say of course, open up more official trails. But it seems to me this state is struggling to put its priorities straight.

It might be just a fact that the only way RRG will ever get enough care is to become a National Park. Something that, considering the volume of people, and the dangers, is probably overdue anyhow. It's internationally known, and very fragile, and as we all know, very special. I just have my doubts that they can maintain that which they open. Cuts are coming all around, you wait and see.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy