Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sharing campsites  (Read 1095 times)

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
Sharing campsites
« on: June 24, 2015, 07:44:45 AM »

Since Stewart32, KeyserSoze, & KYhiker40 mentioned sharing a campsite in the thread about Edward Branch.  I was just curious, what is the proper etiquette?  Do you ask for permission?  Or just start setting up your camp?  If the campers are away do you wait for them to return?

Visited Hansons Point a couple of times over the winter months and noticed the large campsites out that-a-way.  I assumed they were used for large groups.  But on a more recent trip, it was a tent city.  30-40 individual camps all in the same spot.  After seeing this, I've decided to stick with the smaller sites to ensure my party alittle privacy.

The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
Re: Sharing campsites
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 12:09:18 PM »

I consider the area at Hanson Point to be a bit of an exception.  It's a traditional party location, similar to seeting up on top of Indian Staircase or Eagles Nest.  You go there with the expectation that AFTER all the sites in the general area are taken, someone is going to set up nearby.  There aren't a lot of options and the area is known for that purpose.  Probably not much different than sleeping in a shelter on the AT.  You know what it is.

With these few exceptions, I personally believe it is first come first serve, whoever sets up first has the right to the privacy of an area and the next to arrive needs to set up out of sight and out of reasonable ear shot.  I also do not think it should matter how large the clearing is.  If I want to camp at a particular location then I have the right to enjoy that spot if I am the first to arrive.  Granted, I am a reasonable person and wouldn't be rude enough to take such a spot on a Holiday weekend.  But if someone did, I sure wouldn't expect to join them.

I think a great example is Auxier Ridge.  It gets crowds, but not AS bad in terms of party crowds. Probably because the camp sites are smaller as a rule.  I was there 2 months ago and hiked all the way out to Courthouse Rock on a Thursday evening.  Every campsite was taken along the way.  I eventually had to select the last side trail on the right (view of Ravens Rock), which wasn't my goal for the night, but it was the only spot open so I took it.  I would have never considered going back to one of the other sites and pitching my hammock within earshot of another group.     

But, generally speaking, there are endless camp sites at the Gorge.  Just get off the trail and hike 5 minutes in any direction (preferably not off a cliff).  It isn't hard to find a place to hang.  And if you're not hanging, the real question should be WHY NOT?  ;)

tspedw

• Site Seer
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 05:17:57 PM »

about 2-3 weekends ago I passed a boy scout troop on rough trail and when I asked where they were headed, they said hansons point.  It was a large group of about 30 people or more. 

I hiked rough trail from martins fork to swift camp creek parking lot and then back to hansons point and took the very first spot .... "this is as far as I can make it" :)  Had a beautiful sunset at that spot btw.

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 09:03:33 PM »

My wife informed me at dinner today that I am wrong.  She says that none of us have the right to stake a claim to a camp site, that nature is there for anyone to enjoy and it isn't our place to claim any part of it.  If we have a problem sharing, we should find a more secluded spot.

Lesson learned.   :-[

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 10:08:04 PM »

My wife informed me at dinner today that I am wrong.  She says that none of us have the right to stake a claim to a camp site, that nature is there for anyone to enjoy and it isn't our place to claim any part of it.  If we have a problem sharing, we should find a more secluded spot.

Lesson learned.   :-[

hmm, I have a fairly complex way to answer this.

#1 my feeling is, most of the time, when I camp I am there to get away, so why would I want to share a spot... BUT if someone wants to, they have to put up with me, lol... I am weird so have fun with that. So far, never had an issue.
#2 if I am going to met people then I think the above perspective reigns, and after all, life is a shared experience. So long as they have a resonant wave, why not? That being said if I am doing Qigong at a waterfall and some loud low vibe people come along, I high tail it out, I don't want to mix sacred energy with people and find out they plan to leave trash. That's just me. I do feel though, when you meet a kindred spirit to not want to share space with them - or vice versa - is sort of unholy. Like defying the Force. I mean, why else would you meet people you meet IRL again out there. And I do meet people randomly like that. Met a guy at Van Hook who helped answer a question, he recognized my kids and car from BSF/train museum day. That to me is providential and I don't want to be the one to violate that with selfishness. If the guy had invited me to dinner at campsite I'd probably have gone with it because there is something special about being on one wave, if you know what I mean? Of course, that was the hike where a fly rode on my shoulder for about 200 yards and let me pet it, and also got some amazing shots of special light on the water and trees... and also felt the autumn roll back to summer briefly near the falls at a specific spot (and yes, when I left the same spot it turned back to autumn, it was so wild!). So meh.
#3 Although I tend to agree with your wife, I also think there are times when you're having a sacred special moment and if some bovine individual tramples on it, or tries to inject into an unreasonably close space, they're the ones being territorial, and a bit uncouth. It's like fishing... you don't go all around the lake and then just camp next to a guy trying to fish, it's not polite and it's an unspoken rule. People who do that have no sense of self and space, and they usually end up being noisy and a pain. So that's where I diverge from "it's nature and it's free".

We all get to share in the wonder, and usually if someone already has the niche, you're meant to have another. I'd be open to finding out what that is.
Last weekend Flat Lick Falls was monstrously overcrowded, but McCammon was empty and alone. Guess where I found the crawdad on a hike? There were crawdads at FLF, but they were all running from the hoards of people, lol. But at MCF it was so quiet, peaceful...

Just sayin'. All kinds of perspectives. :)

Stewart32

• Over Nighter
  • I Love KY!
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 01:03:13 PM »

the other dilemma...

I don't feel comfortable walking through another campsite.  However, if that campsite is in the middle of the trail (and I have seen this many times) I pass through without a second thought.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy