Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Land Between the Lakes  (Read 922 times)

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
Land Between the Lakes
« on: June 21, 2015, 05:38:59 PM »

Does anyone have any recent information on the North South Trail at LBTL?  I last hiked there in 2013 and information was very difficult to come by.  Rangers were less than helpful, seemed to treat hikers as an inconvenience to be tolerated not helped. 

At the time they were working to complete a new trail system that ran East/West across the peninsula, called the Central Hardwood Scenic Trail.  It is mentioned online, but I can't find a topo trail map of the CHST, just the generic 8x10 pdf that LBTL offers.  It doesn't even provide any mileage indicators, water sources, elevation changes, road crossings, or much of anything useful.

I find this crazy frustrating.  Mammoth Cave is the same way.  It's downright inexcusable that our state parks are comfortable not providing hikers with information they need for their personal safety on the trail. 

So, rant aside, I'm looking at a thru hike of the North South Trail or CHST.  Has anyone hiked here recently?  Any information on good maps?  Is the logging in the southern portion of the North/South Trail complete, or is the trail still partially closed?

genes

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
  • The top of the hill
Re: Land Between the Lakes
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 09:20:43 AM »

Kyhiker, reading your post took me back 20 years to the Trace.  Even then, the Rangers treated hikers as an inconvenience and went as far as to discourage hiking.  I remember hiking there with my son and being told "If you get lost, we aren't going to come looking for you". How could you get lost in the trace? You are never more that a mile or so from a road and surrounded by lakes on both sides.  Rule #1, don't hike The Trace during the summer months; it has the worst tick infestation of any place you will ever hike.

I have found Mammoth Cave a bit better.  The trail blazing was awful 20 years ago but much better now.  I bought a trail book at the Visitor's Center way back when and have used it for years even though it is long out of date.  The maps that they provide at the Visitor's Center are very crude and frequently not up to date so don't depend on them. 
Peace

Gene

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 12:22:12 PM »

Kyhiker, reading your post took me back 20 years to the Trace.  Even then, the Rangers treated hikers as an inconvenience and went as far as to discourage hiking.  I remember hiking there with my son and being told "If you get lost, we aren't going to come looking for you". How could you get lost in the trace? You are never more that a mile or so from a road and surrounded by lakes on both sides.  Rule #1, don't hike The Trace during the summer months; it has the worst tick infestation of any place you will ever hike.

I have found Mammoth Cave a bit better.  The trail blazing was awful 20 years ago but much better now.  I bought a trail book at the Visitor's Center way back when and have used it for years even though it is long out of date.  The maps that they provide at the Visitor's Center are very crude and frequently not up to date so don't depend on them.

My first ever overnight was at Mammoth Cave.  This story belongs in the "almost disasters" thread, so I will elaborate there.  But lets say for now that the map they provided did not even have the correct location of the designated camp site.  When I returned home and researched online, there is information all over internet forums about the location of "The Bluffs" campsite and how it is inaccurately located on many of the outdated maps. 

genes

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
  • The top of the hill
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 07:04:27 PM »

Its hard to believe that I have a trip report on Mammoth Cave somewhere in these archives that is over 10 years old.  I think it is still here, on this site, somewhere.

http://www.kywilderness.com/forum/index.php?cat=4;p=10

That is how long it has been since I last backpacked there.  I went planning to camp at the "Water Falls" camp site only to learn that it had been removed from the trail signs.  The site is still there, they just don't want people to know about it.  The "Bluffs" campsite was still there at that time and the signs were pretty accurate directing to it.  I spent a few nights, over 4-5 years, camping at the Bluffs.  There used to be a small source of water there also, dripping down the rocks, but usable just the same.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 07:09:35 PM by genes »
Peace

Gene
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy