Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A dry sleeping bag  (Read 2161 times)

Brownman

• Over Nighter
A dry sleeping bag
« on: June 11, 2015, 07:44:27 PM »

I am heading to Roan Mountain next week for a 14 mile hike from Carver's Gap to highway 19E. I usually strap my sleeping bag on the outside of my pack in a zippered plastic bag to keep it dry. Well, the plastic bag gave out and i am in search of ideas on how to keep it dry without spending $40 on a dry bag. There is not enough room inside my backpack for the bag. All ideas are welcome.

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
Re: A dry sleeping bag
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 09:15:35 PM »

What kind of sleeping PAD do you use?  If it is one of those closed cell foam pads, maybe you could put the sleeping bag inside a garbage bag, then wrap the closed cell foam around it all to keep the bag from puncturing. 

Or... if you have a small day pack that will hold the sleeping bag, maybe you can do the same idea with the garbage bag, compress it all in the day pack tightly, and attach that to the outside of your actual pack.

For that matter, you might be able to compress it in a normal stuff sack lined with a garbage bag.

neuronship

• Over Nighter
  • DHARMACHINE
    • Neuronarts
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 02:09:00 PM »

If you want a inexpensive method then find a old broken umbrella and take the fabric off of it and place your bag on it and then cinch it up with the area cinched up pointed down on your pack towards the ground to inhibit water getting in or fold it over well enough where it does not matter..  Good luck.  That or buy a Back Pack Rain cover. (20+bucks Outdoor Research is a good one.)  Good Luck!

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 05:31:06 PM »

For what it's worth, investing the $40 or so in a high-quality, compression dry-sack was one of the best decisions I made regarding gear early in my backpacking days. After using sub-par sleeping bags and sacks (using similar methods as discussed above) when I was able to buy a nice bag I just factored the stuff sack in with the cost of the bag. Five years later and more than 100 nights and both the bag and compression sack are both going strong. It is really re-assuring to know that your sleeping bag is going to be dry when you get to camp no matter how bad the weather.

I.B.ME

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 02:56:03 PM »

The dry bag is the best option but I have carried mine many times with a trash bag liner inside a stuff sack. The stuff sack is durable against abrasion and the plastic bag twisted shut provides the water proproofing. A trash compacted bag is better because they are a bit thicker. You can get a stuff sack off of a bag chair or sew one up.
When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. -- Abraham Maslow
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy