Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: best ultralite rain suit.  (Read 1609 times)

r.grider

• Over Nighter
best ultralite rain suit.
« on: February 25, 2015, 03:55:36 PM »

Hiking a hunddred miles or so of the AT in VA come sept, and need suggestions on a good light rain suit.

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
Re: best ultralite rain suit.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 06:37:24 PM »

I would say it really depends on what you are looking for in a rain suit.  I personally take the approach that there are 2 basic types of rain situations.  The first, more common rain, is the light drizzle or quick shower that you are likely to encounter in September.  In that situation, i'm comfortable with just a rain jacket, allowing my nylon hiking pants to shed rain and then dry quickly after after shower.  I carry an Eddie Bauer rain jacket that I use in such situations, and it doubles as my wind layer if the temperatures drop lower than expected at night.  The second type of rain would be a longer more sustained downpour, in which case having waterproof pants likely won't help much anyhow.  You will likely sweat inside the pants, which aren't going to be breathable regardless of the claims, and likely won't remain "water proof" during prolonged exposure.  Again, i'd prefer just to have nylon pants that shed light rain and dry quickly.  .

r.grider

• Over Nighter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 07:18:08 AM »

Thanks ! Good points ! Anyone happen to know where I can get detailed maps of sections of the AT ? Im looking for the section of southern VA, between Damascus and Bland. Be god to know mileages between points, and shelter/water locations.

KYhiker40

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 08:11:39 AM »

I don't have a real answer for you, as I've never hiked the AT or done much research on the individual segments, but I can say that I've seen detailed topo maps of the AT many times.  I recall last year when visiting in Gatlenburg, they have a "new" large gear store at the very end of the strip.  They had an entire segment dedicated to AT maps and trail guides.  I can't recall the name of the store, but it was 3 or 4 stories with departments dedicated to each major brand of hiking gear.  Overpriced, but a neat place to compare product. 

If you can track down that place, you can probably get any map you want.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy