Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arches I want to see  (Read 2954 times)

jlbrad02

• Site Seer
Arches I want to see
« on: December 16, 2014, 02:09:16 PM »

Hello, I have a list of arches I really want to see this year. If any of you have been to these and could give directions or GPS locations that would be awesome!!!
1. Hopewell Arch
2. Honeysuckle Arch
3. Double Deer Arch
4. Moccasin Arch
5. Noah's Spout Arch
6. Bear Pen Double Bridge
7. Doorway Arch
8. Devil's Market House Arch
9. Cathedral Arch
10. Over Pass Arch
11. Friendship Arch
12. Eagles Nest

Bazinga

• Thru Hiker
  • Bush-whack Hero!!
Re: Arches I want to see
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 07:53:23 AM »

If you're really interested in the arch hunting, I recommend the Arches of the Red River Gorge DVDs (by William Patrick) they are a great resource, 4 volumes {5 is not published yet} less than $20.00 each, 400 arches, bridges & windows. 
Here's a link.  http://www.redrivergorgearches.com/
Some of the arches you listed are on private property, secure permission before hiking through private land.  Always practice 'leave no trace', if you can carry it in, you can pack it out.  I find it frustrating when I visit a natural wonder and there is trash/graffiti (since Luna-pup eats everything, I especially hate the food/bathroom trash!!  She's such a naughty girly!!!!).

The cliff lines whisper "I have secrets to share".  But sometimes they lie!! :D

Brownman

• Over Nighter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 10:03:33 PM »

I can help out with some of these arches but have not seen some myself. I am always looking forward to seeing new arches. I plan to be out for the day after Christmas.

mattie

• Day Hiker
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 08:27:37 AM »

Of those, I've hit Hopewell and Friendship and can highly recommend them! 

I would really love to hit Devil's Market House and Noah's Spout too.  Those have been on my list for some time.  William Patrick's DVD (mentioned above) are great.  It's a treasure.

::mattie

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 12:43:56 PM »

Of those, I've hit Hopewell and Friendship and can highly recommend them! 

I would really love to hit Devil's Market House and Noah's Spout too.  Those have been on my list for some time.  William Patrick's DVD (mentioned above) are great.  It's a treasure.

::mattie

To be perfectly honest, I didn't find Noah's Spout to be that impressive. It's a neat natural feature, for sure, but not an arch that I'd find myself returning to often. I do absolutely love the area of the RRG it's in though. I have many pleasant memories of camping by the creek and passing my time in that part of the forest.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy