Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hidden Destinations in KY Google Map  (Read 5125 times)

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
Hidden Destinations in KY Google Map
« on: August 04, 2014, 11:34:59 AM »

Hello all, yes I joined this forum to post this map. But also it is a thank you, you guys are a big help in locating the correct pin placements.

I hope in some small way this map helps. It has more than wilderness, but it's got a lot of good stuff. I unfortunately can't put every trail on it, there are so many good ones. But requests for additions are A-OK.
https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=206033608468304497586.0004da41ae2534790bc6b&msa=0

Enjoy the map, please note it is a classic map, and there are now more than one page of results on it.

-Shifu Careaga,
Lexington, KY

PS I have a "Boone Parkway" map for those interested in long driving weekends, since we don't have our own "blue ridge" I created one. Starts at Carter Caves/Tygarts and goes to Big South Fork msg me or tell me if you want it posted.

Keep wanderin'

hungrybear

• Over Nighter
Re: Hidden Destinations in KY Google Map
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 07:29:41 PM »

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the link!  This looks like a good way to make people aware of and able to enjoy the beautiful outdoors in our state.  There are certainly more than just a few spots that I still need to check out. 

I noticed that a few sites in Nicholasville specifically, are either closed to the public or on private property and wonder if it is wise to draw attention to them.  I have heard hearsay about the landowners there having people arrested for trespassing. 

Brownman

• Over Nighter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 08:24:55 PM »

Most of the people I talk too when asking permission to walk on their land speak more of shooting than arresting a trespasser. If  we all practiced "leave no trace", this would not be such a problem. I am glad that Mark loves Susan and Bob loves Brenda but the world does not care. This eliminates the need to vandalize our beautiful landscape with spray paint and a hammer and chisel.

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 04:35:24 PM »

Just an update,
So because Google has change their maps system, I DO still have the map, however now I encourage, both because of this factor and its size, to use the following KML loaded into google Earth:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22196477/HiddenDestinationsinKY_v201014.kml

It has been updated with probably 50 or 60 locales since the original publishings, with more coming every trip I take.
I have also, reluctantly, but out of respect for history and tourism, added the "Bourbon Trail"... not so hidden marketing wise, but after all, I'll be able to sue this to create and actual driving tour.

The most notable new feature is I have created a Daniel Boone NF Drive, which, while meandering and not speedy in the least, does provide a very enjoyable view of the state's dominant feature.

Thanks and enjoy, keep checking back for newer versions.
edit: btw one day when I have TIME I will go back and add photos and even downloadable maps and documents. Please bear with me, I run a business, teach, and have kids.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 02:46:58 PM by ShifuCareaga »

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 04:48:16 PM »

This eliminates the need to vandalize our beautiful landscape with spray paint and a hammer and chisel.

To my amazement, when I visited Lakiji rock, a man and his two daughters were descending, spraypaint in hand... it is by far the worst treated place in KY.

I really did want to push the man off the path down the hilly (soft) part. What a maroon.

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 03:09:46 PM »

Update:
About a hundred more locations added, incluidng all the iron furnaces, covered bridges, and many of the Indian mounds.

Most of the SNPs are located well, if not they may say Unconfirmed or Private... it is not recommended that hikers go to these and these are on there for posterity, complete information, etc...

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 11:31:36 PM »

Just fyi probably another 50 or more destinations were added, including 4 today! Our state really is amazing. Just amazing.

nsaP

• Day Hiker
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 06:18:01 PM »

This map is great, thanks for your work and for sharing it.  I can only imagine how look it took to make!

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 12:25:53 AM »

You're welcome. Yes it has taken years to make. I hope to have the book(s) out by next year. I have a lot of re-shoots to do as well as a lot of amazing places these fine folk keep introducing me too. Be proud of your state!!

Right now I am researching the "Welsh Indians" which means now I have to reclimb the Pinnacles of Indianfort and get photos of the remaining walls.

The website I hope to put out this year. I have to also update a lot of videos and add descriptions to a lot of things on it.

Thanks for writing!
-Ramon

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 04:13:07 PM »

Update:
I have posted all the Creme de la Creme (A++) scores on the map, and of course continue to add youtube footage of falls. However, I had to reduce hours of assistant, but the plan is to have photos up on this map of the 900+ places so far by end of year and to launch hiddenky.com but 2019. It was delayed this year, and realistically, I'm too distracted to make the materials. I want to dedicate 2019 to formatting the book(s) and the brochures.

ShifuCareaga

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2021, 04:22:29 PM »

Just an update; I haven't logged in for awhile, but there are many new icons added and literally just added. Most of these things you guys know about, but as Google Maps has made them available I've made them also available here.
There are a couple more obscure items that have been added as well.
Hope all are well!
Happy trails.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy