Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Central Kentucky Backpackers Meetup Group  (Read 1941 times)

chris

• Day Hiker
Central Kentucky Backpackers Meetup Group
« on: February 11, 2014, 01:53:37 PM »

Hi, I'd like to announce the formation of the Central Kentucky Backpackers meetup group.

If you love to backpack and enjoy experiencing trips with other like minded hikers, please join up.  If you're a beginner we'll be glad to help and we also encourage Leave No Trace.

Hope to see you on the trail!

chris

• Day Hiker
Re: Central Kentucky Backpackers Meetup Group
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 05:21:03 PM »

Here's a link to the meetup group:  http://www.meetup.com/Central-Kentucky-Backpackers/.

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 08:39:48 PM »

I don't think I'll be able to make the upcoming trip, but I will join the group and can hopefully make a future backpacking trip.

Also, there are great trips on the southern end of the Daniel Boone National Forest and in the Big South National River and Recreation Area that I'd be happy to help plan for future trips.

chris

• Day Hiker
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 09:59:24 AM »

I don't think I'll be able to make the upcoming trip, but I will join the group and can hopefully make a future backpacking trip.

Also, there are great trips on the southern end of the Daniel Boone National Forest and in the Big South National River and Recreation Area that I'd be happy to help plan for future trips.

Mark,

When you join, for the next day or two, you can't search for the group yet.  I has to be approved first and then it will come up during a search.  However, the above link will take you right to it to join the group.  If you're not already a member of Meetup.com, you'll have to join it first.  It's all free to join.

I'm definitely wanting to do a Big South Fork trip this year.  I've never hiked there but I've been researching the area.  If you'd like to organize a hike or just make some suggestions that would be great.

chris

Ewker

• Over Nighter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 09:59:06 AM »

I just clicked to join.
Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Stewart32

• Over Nighter
  • I Love KY!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 10:34:58 AM »

looks like this meetup group is about to evaporate

hungrybear

• Over Nighter
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 06:45:49 PM »

I just stepped up as organizer temporarily and sent out a group email.  I am happy to serve as the organizer but I think that the group will benefit the most people if we have a few guys/gals who are willing to be co-organizers.

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 11:52:32 AM »

I think trying to draw people from that group to this forum as well would be mutually beneficial . . . more exposure for each, more people that could add content here, etc.

hungrybear

• Over Nighter
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 02:15:14 PM »

Good point Mark.  I just posted a link to this forum in the discussion forum on the CKB site under a list of resources.

I don't want to be too spammy or berate members of this forum with constant updates and invitations to join the group.  I'll try to keep it classy and I will respect the moderators if they think I am stepping out of line. I may cross link trip reports in the future to expose both sites. 

I am planning an easy beginner trip this coming weekend, September 13th, that will be about 5 miles round trip.  If that doesn't excite you, I am also planning a 22 mile adventure the first week in October that will feature three of my favorite areas in the Gorge. 

The group was founded as a backpacking group but I am thinking it would be advantageous to diversify our events to also include some day-hikes and car camping.  There is a wide variety of experience levels across the membership and I think it is more important to keep active than it is to exclusively backpack.  I haven't set a location or date but I am looking to get a day hike going sometime in the next month. 

I would love to get to meet some more KYWilderness members!

http://www.meetup.com/Central-Kentucky-Backpackers/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy