Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: North/South Trail at LBL  (Read 1651 times)

Trina

• Day Hiker
North/South Trail at LBL
« on: February 11, 2014, 11:00:02 AM »

Getting ready to hike the North/South Trail at Land Between the Lakes in about 3 wks. Can anyone that has hiked it during this time of year tell me how muddy & wet it might be?
"Nature holds the key to our aesthetic, intellectual, cognitive and even spiritual satisfaction" E.O. Wilson

Trina
Cecilia, KY

KyDan

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
    • KyDan's garden and hiking pages
Re: North/South Trail at LBL
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 11:36:39 AM »

I can't speak for this trail but we hiked 11 miles of the Canal loop trails the morning after a severe thunder storm.
We found the ground on that trail to be good shape in spite of the rain.  Rocky sandy ground there that did not get
muddy much at all.

Good luck on your hike!
.....and your little dog TOTO too!
Dan D.
Louisville KY  good ole USA
Visit my dayhiking page!
 http://ky-dan.com

Trina

• Day Hiker
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 02:13:12 PM »

Thanks for the info Ky Dan! Really would love to talk with someone that has hiked this trail early Spring. Seen on the trail description that it is possible parts of the trail could be under water this time of year, but it also recommends this to be the best time of year to hike it.....
"Nature holds the key to our aesthetic, intellectual, cognitive and even spiritual satisfaction" E.O. Wilson

Trina
Cecilia, KY

genes

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
  • The top of the hill
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 09:02:51 AM »

I haven't hiked it in the spring but did hike it in August years ago.  A super big mistake.  Even the local rangers advised against it because of ticks, but I knew better.  The first night out I was covered in ticks, hundreds.  Never hike it in the summer months.
Peace

Gene

Trina

• Day Hiker
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 04:28:10 PM »

Thanks Genes,  I wouldn't dare think about it that time of year, to dang hot!! LOL Were there many creeks or streams? Even dry ones at the time. As for the ticks, there is some great stuff called permethrin that you can get to treat your hiking clothes for ticks, turkey mites, chiggers, basically any kind of bug that wants to latch onto you. Any outdoor type store will carry it or you can order online. It last for up to 5 washes without having to retreat. GREAT stuff!!! I'm a Realtor & had to show an over grown piece of land last summer so I wore my treated hiking clothes....so glad I did, that place was covered in chiggers & turkey mites! I mean you could barley tell my pants were black there were literally thousands of bugs on me to were my pants looked brown! Within 5 minutes of coming out of woods they all jumped shipped & not a single bite, my poor clients that I let use my Off, well they didn't get so lucky & had thousands of bites to go with all their bugs! By the way lymes disease is no joke, been there done that, not from hiking but as a job hazard, so I would give permethrin a try for sure.

Trina
Cecilia, KY

genes

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
  • The top of the hill
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 09:03:50 AM »

We bought some of the permethrin that the Army uses when they train at LBL.  It was a yellow and green spray can, as I remember.  We followed the instructions and stored our clothes in a plastic garbage bag to let it soak in.  The first night out my son and I were literally covered head to foot with hundreds/thousands of tiny ticks.  These aren't the kind that most people see on their dogs or that I was familiar with from my daily cross country runs through the woods.  These were the size of grains of pepper.  We didn't even notice them until we stopped for the night.  It was then that I noticed the tiny, tiny black spots on my skin were moving.  We stripped off our clothes, walked to the sandy beach nearby and scrubbed down with mud and sand to get the ticks off.  Each night it was the same procedure to get the ticks off.  The permethrin didn't appear to be much help.  I think we threw most of our clothes away at the end of the trip.  The rangers did everything they could to discourage us from backpacking the LBL in August but we did it anyway.  I won't make that mistake twice.
Peace

Gene

Trina

• Day Hiker
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 01:22:37 PM »

That's terrible!! Glad we are hiking it in March & won't have to worry much about ticks. How long did you guys take to hike it & how was the elevation change?

Trina
Cecilia, KY

KyDan

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
    • KyDan's garden and hiking pages
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 08:28:25 AM »

GeneS is not checking in as often as might happen in better weather....
If you click his photo on the left of his posts you can see his profile and from there
you can send him a PM (private message).
I believe that will go to his email box and he will likely see it sooner and reply to you.
Give it a try.

BTW, we have hiked the 11 mile canal loop trails in spring break and not got any tics.
Maybe we were lucky but those trails are typically clear of weeds and grass so
we were able to hike without contact with vegetation except our boot soles.

I'm saying this just so folks will know it is possible to do -some- select hiking at
LBL in warmer weather.

Happy Hiking!
.....and your little dog TOTO too!
Dan D.
Louisville KY  good ole USA
Visit my dayhiking page!
 http://ky-dan.com

genes

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
  • The top of the hill
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 09:35:05 AM »

I'm back.  Went skiing last week and am still catching up. 

There is very little elevation change the entire length of this trail, almost all the way to Tennessee.   There are a few hills, but nothing like what you see at the RRG or the BSF. We hiked about 40-50 miles from the north to the south easily in 3 days.  We were never more than 1/2 mile or so from the lake at any point as I remember.  It was summer time, so the days were long and you could hike for 12 hours easily each day.  My son was only 12 at the time and it was an easy trip for him; no complaints except for the ticks and heat.
This is a different kind of trail.  If you are looking for a deep woods experience with lots of overlooks and scenic views, this isn't one.  But, it is not a strenuous hike.  Finding water or a place to camp for the night is easy. lots of choices.  I would bet that between now and the middle of April would be a great time to hike the LBL.
Peace

Gene

Trina

• Day Hiker
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 10:29:08 AM »

Skiing?! I'm jealous!! Hope you had a great time, made a couple trips to Perfect North this year ourselves but would have much rather made another trip to Colorado.

Thanks for the info guys!! I haven't been to RRG or BSF yet, making plans to do so this year. Hike Bernheim a lot...like every weekend & have been hitting the Siltstone Trail in JMF the last couple of weeks because the Millennium Trail is pretty much under water. Love hiking the Smokies too. And sshhhhh don't tell anyone but I am not staying over night in the woods, this will be my first long distance, several day hike & didn't want to spend the $$$ just yet so slack packing it is.

Hate to hear it won't be a little more scenic but wasn't really doing it for the scenery anyway. Just hoping it wont be to wet....wet feet are not happy feet!

Trina
Cecilia, KY

Trina

• Day Hiker
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 11:12:17 AM »

Completed our hike a little over 2 weeks ago!! 58 miles in 27hrs & 15 min, busted up over 3 days time. Had one little pin tick crawl on my arm & that was the only bug we seen. We started from the North welcome Center & went South, we figured out pretty early on that the trail is marked a whole lot better for folks traveling from South to North. Trail was in great condition not to wet, not to many obstacles but let me go on record & I scream this I WILL NEVER EVER HIKE ANOTHER TRAIL I HAVE TO SHARE WITH HORSES!!! It's approx. 6-8miles that's shared but seriously the worst trail I have ever hiked! Whoever's bright idea that was needs to be left for the coyotes!! Great adventure & major accomplishment!!

Trina
Cecilia, KY

genes

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
  • The top of the hill
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 01:34:48 PM »

Yep, horses have a tendency to destroy hiking trails; mud, ruts and land mines.
Peace

Gene
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy