Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Central Kentucky Backpacking Group?  (Read 1497 times)

chris

• Day Hiker
Central Kentucky Backpacking Group?
« on: January 30, 2014, 01:03:26 PM »

I've been an Organizer with the Cincinnati Backpacking Meetup group for a while and have led backpacking trips to the RRG with them and also the Louisville group.  I live in Richmond and wish there was a backpacking meetup group in this area.  I've thought about this for a few years now.

If I start a backpacking group, would anyone be interested?  Would anyone be interested in being an organizer?  Any thoughts?

hungrybear

• Over Nighter
Re: Central Kentucky Backpacking Group?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 11:03:27 PM »

After moving to Lexington I looked into joining a hiking meetup group to meet people and get out.  I was kind of put off by the large group size of most of the meetups.  A big part of hiking that makes it so enjoyable to me is the solitude and quietness of the outdoors.  I may end up trying a large group hike anyway just for fun, but I think it would only confirm that I would much more enjoy smaller group hikes between 5 and 10 people at the absolute most. 

To me a large group (10+) is more of a liability that scares away wild-life, takes more careful pace management, and has a greater potential for a negative environmental impact.

I wouldn't mind joining a small group of hikers/campers or maybe even organizing a small get together.  In any events I participated in I would want to be able to control the group sizes both for my own selfish reasons, like solitude, and to help protect delicate areas in already overused and abused areas like Red River Gorge.

Sorry if it seems like I just jumped on your back.  I know that a lot of people continue to enjoy the meetup hikes and I acknowledge the social value they encompass as well as getting people who normal might not hike out.  I don't mean to preach but that's what you get for asking about my thoughts. I'll pm you my phone number if you want to try to get a group together.

Mark W

• Contributor
  • Thru Hiker
    • My Photo Album of Outdoor Scenery
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 10:09:32 PM »

. . . A big part of hiking that makes it so enjoyable to me is the solitude and quietness of the outdoors.  I may end up trying a large group hike anyway just for fun, but I think it would only confirm that I would much more enjoy smaller group hikes between 5 and 10 people at the absolute most. 

To me a large group (10+) is more of a liability that scares away wild-life, takes more careful pace management, and has a greater potential for a negative environmental impact.

I wouldn't mind joining a small group of hikers/campers or maybe even organizing a small get together.  In any events I participated in I would want to be able to control the group sizes both for my own selfish reasons, like solitude, and to help protect delicate areas in already overused and abused areas like Red River Gorge.

These are pretty much my thoughts exactly. Honestly, any group of more than about 3-5 people starts to feel pretty crowded in the woods to me.

That said, I do have some interest in organizing backpacking trips for small groups. I'd prefer to do trips in the Big South Fork or southern end of the Daniel Boone National Forest, rather than in the Red River Gorge for several reasons.

One reason is that I know of several outstanding backpacking routes there that are incredibly scenic and have campsites that wouldn't suffer from group camping, and another reason is there would likely be more solitude down there than in the RRG. I've also hiked plenty in the RRG and less in those areas, aside from the area around Bee Rock Campground/Van Hook Falls . . . I've spent almost a month of combined backpacking/day hiking time down there and would never tire of backpacking down that way.

I'd also be interested in doing group trips to the Smokies or Jocye Kilmer-Slickrock/Citico Creek Wilderness areas.

Send me a PM if you'd like to discuss this further.

chris

• Day Hiker
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 08:43:51 PM »

After moving to Lexington I looked into joining a hiking meetup group to meet people and get out.  I was kind of put off by the large group size of most of the meetups.  A big part of hiking that makes it so enjoyable to me is the solitude and quietness of the outdoors.  I may end up trying a large group hike anyway just for fun, but I think it would only confirm that I would much more enjoy smaller group hikes between 5 and 10 people at the absolute most. 

Sorry if it seems like I just jumped on your back.  I know that a lot of people continue to enjoy the meetup hikes and I acknowledge the social value they encompass as well as getting people who normal might not hike out.  I don't mean to preach but that's what you get for asking about my thoughts. I'll pm you my phone number if you want to try to get a group together.

Thank you for your response.  I don't take any offense to your opinion.  I pretty much share it.  I don't think I've ever hosted or been on a backpacking meetup with over ten people.  I agree, over ten is too much for a campsite and to handle during the hike.

This past weekend, I hiked in solo about 6-7 miles to meet the Indy meetup group at Eagle's Point Buttress.  I got to enjoy hiking alone and then got to hang out around the campfire telling jokes, comparing gear, and sharing backpacking stories.  There were seven of us.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy