Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RRG Camping  (Read 2839 times)

portsway

• Site Seer
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
RRG Camping
« on: May 20, 2003, 06:39:02 PM »

I plan to go to RRG this weekend and am looking for a few suggestion on trails to hit as well as good camping places away from the crowds.  Can anyone give a first timer any advise?   :-*

discojett

Re: RRG Camping
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2003, 06:57:54 PM »

No crowds and Memorial Day weekend.  Hmmmmm....

I give up.  Clifty Wilderness would be the best bet, off-trail even better.

portsway

• Site Seer
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2003, 07:12:32 PM »

???  Any suggestions on somewhere nearby to go?

timbros

• KY Junkie
  • mmmmmmmmmmm Hiking.......
    • I like the Pine Mountain Trail
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2003, 07:19:01 PM »

If you're going to the Gorge on Memorial Day, there is nowhere you can avoid crowds short of driving around until you find a nice unmarked drainage you can head up off trail.

Being it's your first time, I would just go ahead and embrace the crowds, check out all the popular spots like Sky Bridge, Grays Arch, etc, and get a good idea about where you want to go again after the holiday weekend.

BTW - Welcome to the site!

PS Clifty wilderness is part of what we generally refer to as "the gorge", though it is really a wilderness area right next to it.....
I can't say I've ever been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel  Boone

keith

• KYWilderness Admin
  • KY Junkie
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2003, 07:24:48 PM »

I'd have to agree with timbros (damnit!  I hate when that happens)... if it's your first time, there's no shame in hitting the popular stops... sky bridge, chimney, natural bridge (Just a short drive away), rock bridge, etc...

You can hit all of the highlights in a single day... there will be lots of people, but as timbros said, it'll give you some ideas on where to head back to when it thins out.
"you can't make cherry blossoms by tearing off petals
to plant only spring does that"
Ikkyu (1394-1481)

timbros

• KY Junkie
  • mmmmmmmmmmm Hiking.......
    • I like the Pine Mountain Trail
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2003, 07:29:17 PM »

Keith, we have so much in common.....

Quick whit, libertarian leanings, good looks......oh wait, that's just me.  Oh well two out of three ain't bad.
I can't say I've ever been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel  Boone

Trekker_Forrest

• Thru Hiker
    • Outpost
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2003, 12:52:16 AM »

Portsway : Even with all the crowds, I'll isolate you.  Go off the second Mountain Parkway exit and come in past the old Dessie Spangler Children's Home and the Rock Bridge Road junction. Now you're heading toward Sky Bridge.  On your left pull off at Parched Corn Creek Overlook. Unload. Across the road is the trailhead for Swift Camp Creek Trail. Take that trail out across the plateau, then gradually dropping down until you come to Swift Camp Creek. You will drop down to your right into a hole, then come out of that and descend an old set of steps to the creekside.
Take a few steps southward along the creek, take off your boots and socks, put on sandals or river shoes, and wade Swift Camp Creek. You are now in the Clifty Creek Wilderness.
  Behold a beautiful ledge following along the creek.  Pitch camp there. You really aren't very far from the road, but most people won't wade the creek, so you're all alone. You may see an occasional hiker on the west side trail, but they won't come across.  And if you want more privacy, just walk south along the ledge until the west side trail leaves the creek to climb the shoulder of Wildcat Ridge. The foliage then cuts off their view of you.
  If it's hot, there are several places where the creek deepens enough for swimming.
  Hoist your food at night.  Black bear will come snooping through your campsite.
  The screeching cries in the middle of the night are wildcats on the hunt.  
  Find a soft mud edge to the stream and you'll find tracks of bear, wildcat, coon, possum, porcupine and fox.
  Hike up the rise to the East, away from the stream, and you'll find yourself atop Calaboose Ridge.
  Don't leave your hiking boots out at night. Coon and porcupine will gnaw on them to get the salt from your perspiration.
  Report back to us on what kind of trip you had.
Make America Green Again. Vote Trekker Forrest for President 2020.

Feral_Human

• Over Nighter
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2003, 03:35:50 AM »

All I can say is stay away from Chimp Rock(half Moon) if you want to avoid the largest crowd on Memorial day weekend.  In fact, just don't go anywhere near chimney top unless you are going in for a short excursion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy