Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BSF Paddlin'  (Read 2646 times)

Jafar

• Over Nighter
BSF Paddlin'
« on: April 11, 2013, 11:48:36 AM »

Hey all looking for some info....
Planning a 2 nighter on the BSF from Leatherwood Ford to Blue Heron or maybe Yamacraw.
After some googlin' I've got a pretty good plan started. I thought I'd check into the forum here to see if there was any inside info anybody could pass along?
Thanks in advance!

dustanltye

• Site Seer
Re: BSF Paddlin'
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 05:40:19 PM »

We are doing the trip from Station camp to Blue Heron this Friday 5/3/13 and can't wait!

Jafar

• Over Nighter
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 08:54:35 PM »

We've decided to do Station Camp to Alum Ford 5/17-5/19...a little worried about the water levels though...this rain has it way up and way fast.

How did the trip go this weekend? I've been following the levels and it has been up for awhile.

onemansadventure

• Over Nighter
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 08:53:18 PM »

Curious about this as well.  Have never paddled the BSF but from hiking along it, it has entered my wish list of places I need to get to paddling.

Jafar

• Over Nighter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 08:59:01 PM »

Sorry for not posting for four months but...

We did paddle the BSF in May and had a great trip. 600cfs at Leatherwood.
Did Station Camp to Alum Ford. Camped just after the right turn and beach after the Salt Branch. Not many spots on this weekend in that area but we made it work.
5 of the 6 of us ran Devil's Jump, all 5 bit it. I was the one to portage, my 12' Perception Prodigy just didn't like some of the bigger rapids so I knew it wouldn't take the jump to well.
After Blue Heron there are very few spots to camp and we ended up going all the way to Alum Ford on Day 2 and stayed at the campsite there. After Yamacraw it is all flat water and NO camping that we could find.
Rapids were often and pretty nice throughout before Yamacraw bridge. Like I said my boat was not made for these waters, it sits very low and takes on water easily. My buddies sit-o-top worked great, wide and stable...scupper holes help a lot.
Great trip with a lot of action. My style is more relaxed but anytime on the water is a great time. We try to always do 2 night trips and honestly this was a bit short for that and we are never in a hurry. The fishing was good as well. Caught smallies casting swim baits into the rapids and after.

wornoutboots

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 12:19:54 PM »

I'm inexperienced kayaking in fast moving water & I like to paddle in mild water. I have a few yaks more suited for flat or slower moving waters. With that said, what cfs would the BSF need to be to have a nice relaxing trip from @ Zenith Crossing to Yamacraw?
take a little time to watch the trees dance with the wind.....then join in the dance

wornoutboots

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 12:35:47 PM »

take a little time to watch the trees dance with the wind.....then join in the dance

wornoutboots

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 12:39:44 PM »

I believe I found the answer to my own question:

http://www.nps.gov/biso/planyourvisit/upload/riverguide.pdf

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy