Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Scott County Hiking Preserve  (Read 1758 times)

Trekker Forrest

• Thru Hiker
    • OutpostUSA
New Scott County Hiking Preserve
« on: January 10, 2013, 01:17:45 PM »

As soon as the weather clears up, there's a new hiking preserve in Central Kentucky.  It's the Veterans Memorial Wildlife Management Area in Scott County.  The photo I'm attaching here shows a wetland and meadow, but 90% of the 2500 acres is dense woodland.  It's easily accessible because its western edge runs right along I-75.  Take Exit 129 just north of Georgetown, turn left, turn right on US 25, go two miles, turn right on Rogers Gap Road, and look for the entrance on the left.  This is an old farm which was abandoned and grew back in forest.  Since it's a wildlife management area, it's full of birds and game and you're certain to see some.  The terrain is not as rugged as the Gorge.  It's rolling hills.  But it's certainly not flat and you can lose yourself for several hours.  They allow bow hunting there in season and the fishing is pretty good.  There are five trailheads, all along the same access road near the interstate.  You hike in toward the East, away from I-75, so after the first hill or so you lose the sounds of traffic.  It's little used so outside of bow season you're likely to be alone out there.  From Rupp Arena in downtown Lexington to setting foot in the forest is about 30 minutes. 
Your Guide To Outdoor Adventure
      www.OutpostUSA.org

wornoutboots

• Thru Hiker
Re: New Scott County Hiking Preserve
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 12:04:09 AM »

can you backcountry camp there?
take a little time to watch the trees dance with the wind.....then join in the dance

eukeofearl

• Over Nighter
    • Travels and pictures of 'eukeofearl'...aka RoJoYo
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 04:15:25 PM »

Is it marked at all?  Trailhead? Trails? Etc?

Found this as well if anyone is interested.

http://www.kentucky.com/2013/01/08/2468405/songbirds-hikers-hunters-find.html
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 07:48:57 PM by eukeofearl »
"You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing." 
Ben Franklin

Trekker Forrest

• Thru Hiker
    • OutpostUSA
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 09:46:22 PM »

Eukofeari : The five trailheads are clearly marked.  There are no trails.  "Trailheads" are just parking areas off the entry road.  So you do need basic orienteering skills. 

Wornoutboots : Currently, there are no campsites or designated camping areas.  But there are so few people there outside of hunting season you could probably camp wherever you wanted once you got a mile or so away from the road.  I saw some fishermen camped by one of the ponds. 
Your Guide To Outdoor Adventure
      www.OutpostUSA.org

rigidpsycho

• Over Nighter
  • everyday above ground is a good day
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 04:21:47 PM »

May have to go check this out! I grew up not far from where this is located.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy