Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sheltowee Trace Extended  (Read 2222 times)

traildust

• Day Hiker
    • Sheltowee Trace Association
Sheltowee Trace Extended
« on: December 15, 2012, 01:28:42 PM »

Effective 1 January, the Southern Terminus for the Sheltowee Trace National Recreation Trail will be at Leatherwood Trail Head in the Big South Fork.  Working with the NPS, the Sheltowee Trace Association has blazed this extension which takes advantage of existing trails such as the John Muir and Station Camp.  Visit our webpage for completed details on the new blazed route.

The existing trail into Pickett State Park will remain open and a part of the Trace for those who need to exit off and into the Pickett Trail Head and trail system.

www.sheltoweetrace.org
Learn more about the Sheltowee Trace Association visit our web page www.sheltoweetrace.org

traildust

• Day Hiker
Re: Sheltowee Trace Extended
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 01:20:10 PM »

Here is a story with details on the extension to help with your plans.

http://discoverscott.com/news/2013/sheltowee-trace-comes-to-oneida
Learn more about the Sheltowee Trace Association visit our web page www.sheltoweetrace.org

wornoutboots

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 07:43:14 PM »

That's Awesome!! Thanks for all your hard work Traildust!! It would be great to extend it even further south up to the O&W Bridge then take that un-named road that follows North White Oak creek all the way to what looks to a dammed lake a mile or so South of Zenith Crossing? Possibly towards Historic Rugby? I'm planning on hitting that section in a few weeks all the way to that lake & then hanging @ the Laurel Fork Drainage for a few days xploring. 
take a little time to watch the trees dance with the wind.....then join in the dance

wornoutboots

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 08:03:54 PM »

I guess I could have read the whole article before my last post  :D  I have extensively hiked from Leatherwood to Honey Creek Loop up on Hurricane ridge (never connecting the 2) but I still would suggest the extension heading across the O & W & continuing up North White Oak then heading up to the Southwest Side of Hurricane Ridge near Laurel Fork. However you would have to name the Devils Den JMT section as a foul weather route because up N White Oak there are 2 fords that can be RAGING Streams after extensive rains! It will also need t be noted to camel up near Devils Den due to the lack of water on top. If I remember correctly, there is a really cool cascade just past the Den?  Again Great Work!!! 
take a little time to watch the trees dance with the wind.....then join in the dance

traildust

• Day Hiker
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 04:17:45 PM »

Thanks Boots for the trail information.  As we get closer to the discussion with the NPS on that phase of the extension, I hope you can be a part of the discussion.  Experienced hikers in this section of the BSF can  help us make the right recommendations.  We are considering extending on down to Rugby and into the Obed if it gets us to the Cumberland Trail.   

wornoutboots

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 07:55:28 PM »

Sounds Great!! I'd love to assist in anyway!

traildust

• Day Hiker
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 11:43:02 PM »

NPS is close to extending the Trace down to Honey Creek Loop.  Before summer is out it should be offical.  Northern area, Morehead reroute is days from approval and the start of implementation.  In the south we are looking at going to Rugby and on to the Obed to get to the Cumberland Trail and link there to Great Eastern Trail.

genes

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
  • The top of the hill
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 08:26:02 AM »

This is great news and represents a lot of dedication and hard work.  I have backpacked most of the ST in sections over the last 20 years, but hope to through hike in the next couple of years.  Please keep up the good work and we thank you guys for your efforts.
Peace

Gene
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy