Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shakertown Trails  (Read 2846 times)

Trekker Forrest

• Thru Hiker
    • OutpostUSA
Shakertown Trails
« on: November 12, 2012, 04:23:12 PM »

Everybody thinks of Shakertown as a historical shrine, a great restaurant and a neat place to spend a night or two in 1800s atmosphere.  But the place is more than the village.  It was a huge plantation, with fields, pastures, forests, stream bottoms, caves and other features.  There is a trail system laid out you could spend a week hiking.  The four longer loop trails are about six miles each, the shorter loops 4-5 miles.  We spent today (Sunday) hiking the Quail Hollow, Heritage and Shawnee Run Trails.  This is not rugged hiking like the Gorge, Pilot Knob or Indian Fort Mountain.  You're high on a plateau most of the time, with a few trails dropping down to the Kentucky River in the Palisades. You're hiking along fences, stone walls, past old mills, tanneries, quarries, stables and other outbuildings.  You'll see a surprising amount of game.  We saw quail, a large Stag, a very impressive Buzzard, Rabbits, lots of smaller birds, a Coyote and some solid black animal about the size of a Beagle but much faster and quicker (it was moving so fast through the underbrush we couldn't get a good look).  The photo is of a covey of Quail we flushed.  They just exploded out from under our feet on the Quail Hollow Trail.  We did enjoy the Quail, but we can't recommend the trail.  You have to wade through a tunnel under route 68 and it's pretty muddy.  After a few days rain it could get dangerous in there.  Heritage Trail is a very beautiful hike along a stream down through a deep valley.  This was where we saw the Stag. Shawnee Run Trail may be the best one in the system.  River and Palisades Trails take you down to the river, where a steamboat offers tours,  and canoes and kayaks put in for trips up and down the Palisades.   
Your Guide To Outdoor Adventure
      www.OutpostUSA.org

CheeseyDean

• Over Nighter
Re: Shakertown Trails
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 01:24:41 AM »

We went to Shakertown earlier this past summer and did the longest trail there, I believe it was the Shawnee Run trail. I'll never forget that day, because as silly and stupid as it sounds at a place like Shakertown, we got outright lost for a good half hour/45 minutes. We hiked from a low streamside trail up onto a ridge, and I remember there was an overlook somewhere along the ridge part. Then we came out into this giant field area that overlooked the surrounding countryside. We eventually ending up having to backtrack the entire way we came. It was a pretty nice area, and we heard some large animal making a rumbling/growling sound in the woods near the end of it. It must have been a deer.

copper creek

• Thru Hiker
  • I hope my knees hold out
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 08:19:22 AM »

Very nice photo!  You were quick on the draw to catch that scene.  My wife and I have enjoyed going to Shakertown several times.  It's a beautiful and relaxing place.

KyDan

• Global Moderator
  • Thru Hiker
    • KyDan's garden and hiking pages
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 07:23:51 AM »

What a great photo!
We haven't hiked there in years.
It's time to go back I think.

BTW I believe the palisades trail was closed a few years ago due to
liability concerns.  I think it was maintained by the company that runs the generator
at the old dam and they just up and closed the trail.  It's a shame because I always
liked that trail.  It offered GREAT views of the palisades.

.....and your little dog TOTO too!
Dan D.
Louisville KY  good ole USA
Visit my dayhiking page!
 http://ky-dan.com

r.grider

• Over Nighter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 01:53:40 AM »

I live within 3 miles of shakytown. i like the shawnee run back to the chinn-poe trail which takes u down to the creek. i bushwhacked back upstream on the creek and wound up finding 4 good limestone arches, the biggest a nice pillar arch 10 ft tall or so. these are not on any trail. just follow the creek and study the cliffs, you will find the arches if you have an eye for them
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy