Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sheltowee trail through gorge  (Read 4433 times)

Outback2

• Day Hiker
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Sheltowee trail through gorge
« on: April 26, 2003, 03:14:44 AM »

Hello everyone, I have been to the gorge several times now and have only gone two nights and haven't covered a lot of distance. For my next trip(5 days)  I was thinking of starting at Wildcat then turning north onto swift camp creek, cross the road, then follow the sheltowee up to the northern terminus in Menifee county. Does anyone know the mileage, or has hiked,  this part of the sheltowee between those two points? any info would help, thanks

Thumper

• Thru Hiker
Re: Sheltowee trail through gorge
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2003, 12:30:52 PM »

I dunno, but I've been daydreaming about a similar hike myself and look forward to reading the replies. And welcome!

timbros

• KY Junkie
  • mmmmmmmmmmm Hiking.......
    • I like the Pine Mountain Trail
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2003, 02:05:07 PM »

Where do you want to end?  The northern terminus is up near Morehead.  that would be quite a long hike with several sections of road.  How many miles do you want to cover?  You can get to The top of corner ridge north of the gorge before you have to hit pavement.
I can't say I've ever been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel  Boone

Outback2

• Day Hiker
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2003, 06:23:50 PM »

I want to end at the corner ridge road parking area, as far as mileage goes, I would like to do around 24 miles, 6 or so miles a day. I just want to make sure this hike is feasible in 5 days, 4 nights, with plenty of time for relaxing to.

I.B.ME

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2003, 07:14:50 PM »

That is a relaxing pace alright.  Most would get bored at 6 miles per day.  That would just be walking full out for 2 to 2 1/2 hours per day?  I'm not knocking it, I just can't hold myself back that much.  I want to know what is over the next hill once this spot has been explored.

I still don't understand where you are starting and ending.  If you can be specific I will be glad to help.  As will many others

Welcome to the site.  Glad your here.
When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. -- Abraham Maslow

keith

• KYWilderness Admin
  • KY Junkie
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2003, 08:17:23 PM »

I believe I wrote a TR on the 8-10 mile stretch of trail including the northern terminus.  I tried to search for it, but didn't find it.  Maybe I didn't write it.  Hell, maybe I didn't even hike it...
"you can't make cherry blossoms by tearing off petals
to plant only spring does that"
Ikkyu (1394-1481)

Arthur

• KYWilderness Admin
  • Thru Hiker
  • Get out!
    • Kywilderness.com
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2003, 11:01:16 PM »

sorry keith.  It never got wrote, but you did hike it, I was there.  Unless neither of us hiked it.
What a time we had; splashed through bogs, ate like hogs, slept like logs  -- Holling Gustaf Vincoeur

keith

• KYWilderness Admin
  • KY Junkie
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2003, 11:47:54 PM »

Damn that's weird.  I coulda swore I wrote it.  We got pics, though... right?
"you can't make cherry blossoms by tearing off petals
to plant only spring does that"
Ikkyu (1394-1481)

Arthur

• KYWilderness Admin
  • Thru Hiker
  • Get out!
    • Kywilderness.com
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2003, 12:40:45 AM »

oh yeah, I got pics.
What a time we had; splashed through bogs, ate like hogs, slept like logs  -- Holling Gustaf Vincoeur

Outback2

• Day Hiker
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2003, 06:20:45 AM »

I want to start at wildcat, hike that until it reaches swift camp creek, get on camp creek and go north ,then west, passing by the Calaboose region,  cross 715 then proceed on Sheltowee, cross the supension bridge, pass by Indian Staircase, then go north into the upper clifty wilderness then end right where the clifty area stops, I believe it's corner ridge road, I know 6 miles a day is taking it easy, but I am going with my dad who hasn't been backpacking a whole lot, sorry if that seems lame to you guys

I.B.ME

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2003, 11:36:14 AM »

Not lame to me.  Glad your taking your dad.  Mine is in too bad shape to walk to the mail box.  He is just getting over bypass surgery.  Maybe my son will take me some day.  

What threw me was your reference to the N. terminus.  The N. terminus it about 65 miles north of where you are going to get out and as Timbros was saying includes many miles of road walking (ick).

The trip you reference would be a good one and I am sure someone has written a TR on that section.  If no one responds in the next day or so I will look for my notes on it.
When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. -- Abraham Maslow

timbros

• KY Junkie
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2003, 11:38:15 AM »

Outback,

As long as you have fun and enjoy yourself it's not lame, it's awsome!  I wish I could get my dad to hike with me!

I can't count the number of times I didn't go far at all because I just wanted to hang out in a beautiful spot all day!

I'll get back to you on the milage.
I can't say I've ever been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel  Boone

js

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2003, 01:36:31 PM »

Yeah, there have been days where I didn't go over two miles or so a day.  There are some spots in the Gorge where there's an entire day's worth or more of cool things to see in just a couple thousand yards.  Some might call that lazy, some might say that's not really backpacking, but you know what?  As long as you're having fun, who gives a damn?  If I'm trying to cover a lot of distance or trying to get to a particular spot in a certain timeframe, I miss out on a lot of stuff.  To me, backpacking is about leaving behind schedules and all that shit, and just relaxing and wandering about.  Whatever pace is comfortable is cool.

I take my grandpa with me a bit, though I generally try to stick to easy trails and I carry all his gear.  On days like that I have to keep the mileage down, not only for him but for the fact that I'm carrying so much extra gear.
See, I told you I could be entirely wrong...

timbros

• KY Junkie
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2003, 11:41:30 AM »

Outback2,

Here is an unofficial estimate of the milage:

Wildcat Parking area to Swift Camp Creek     2.0 mi
Swift Camp Creek to 715                                2.9 mi
715 to Chimney Top Rd                                   1.8 mi
Chimney Top Rd to Suspension Bridge            3.0 mi
Suspension Bridge to Gladie Creek at Salt Fk  4.5 mi
Cladie Creek to Corner Ridge Rd                      2.5 mi
Total                                                                  16.7 mi

That does not include side trips to Indian Staircase Cloud Splitter, etc.  Also it is inaccurate being I couldn't find good milage I measured the trail with my little "map wheel".  I called the FS but they told me they couldn't give me an answer till Friday.  I guess you get what you pay for with Government help........

Thumper

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2003, 01:20:38 PM »

I just did a quick thumb-through of the Sierra Club's guide to the RRG; it looks like timbros' estimates match up pretty close with theirs.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Privacy Policy