Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Intense Hikes  (Read 8320 times)

timbros

• KY Junkie
  • mmmmmmmmmmm Hiking.......
    • I like the Pine Mountain Trail
Re: Intense Hikes
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2003, 04:03:06 PM »

Dog Slaugter is really nice!  However, the hike is not intense at all being it is mostly trail along the river.
I can't say I've ever been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel  Boone

keith

• KYWilderness Admin
  • KY Junkie
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2003, 04:34:50 PM »

Dog Slaughter Rocks!
"you can't make cherry blossoms by tearing off petals
to plant only spring does that"
Ikkyu (1394-1481)

Thumper

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2003, 05:14:00 PM »

Oh, I still disagree. I've not been very far up the Dog Slaughter Trail, but what I've seen of it makes my point perfectly. Yeah, it's a walk along a stream -- and so you don't have much elevation gain -- but the uphill parts are steeper and rockier than many other trails. I've been on trails with longer and steeper climbs that weren't nearly so intense.

As Clifty points out, the trail in the Bad Branch Nature Preserve is a pretty intense day hike; you have to climb over some boulders and such, and there is MUCH more elevation gain to get up to High Rock than to get to Dog Slaughter Falls. But still the Bad Branch trails are mostly just nice paths through the woods.

By the way, I also think that off-trail exploration is by definition more intense than trail walking, regardless of where you're doing it. It would therefore be pretty easy to find a hike that's intense just for the sake of being intense by simply taking a topo map and looing for high concentrations of contour lines.

Thumper

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2003, 05:16:42 PM »

Oh, and to answer andy's question: Yes, that's also one of the prettiest hikes you'll find.

timbros

• KY Junkie
  • mmmmmmmmmmm Hiking.......
    • I like the Pine Mountain Trail
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2003, 05:25:25 PM »

I was thinking more along the lines of The STT to Dogslaughter.  PM is correct about Dog Slaughter trail being more steep and rocky, but I couldn't rate a 1.3 mile trail as intense......unless it was straight up a rock face, but I think that's more of a JB thing....
I can't say I've ever been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel  Boone

Thumper

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2003, 05:36:00 PM »

Point well-taken.

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
  • Enjoying my little wide world
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2003, 07:50:31 PM »

I thought the River Trail in Breaks Interstate Park was pretty intense.  The elevation change (about 1600 feet down to the river level) weren't too bad because of plenty of switchbacks but the trail was on a 65 degree incline pretty much the whole time (by far the most intense part).  We went on a dry day, if you were to go on a wet day it could be fatal.  One misstep leaves no room for error in several places.  There are a couple places where you have to cross large beds of rock that could make for some nice ankle twisters too.
erchomai kurios lesous...

JB

• Thru Hiker
  • proselytizing since 1972
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2003, 09:38:34 PM »

I like trails that are Extremely intense, not just regular intense.
luck is where preparation meets opportunity

Thumper

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2003, 10:43:01 PM »

I did that loop around the River Trail/Prospector Trail/Laurel Branch Trail one day in January after we'd had a big snow, starting at the bottom where the little trail winds down along Center Creek. Most of the snow was melted, but that made Center Creek very, very, high and swift and had left the other trails really icy. It was a day with highs in the 20s, making it both really important and nearly impossible not to get too wet. I stopped for a lunch break at that little rockshelter about halfway up the switchbacks and my legs decided to cramp up and not let me continue for a good long time. Yeah, I guess you're right; it's pretty intense.

keith

• KYWilderness Admin
  • KY Junkie
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2003, 11:48:11 PM »

Arthur and I had a pretty intense hike up to Natural Bridge once.

3/4 miles uphill is a bitch with 20" of snow and downed trees  ;D
"you can't make cherry blossoms by tearing off petals
to plant only spring does that"
Ikkyu (1394-1481)

discojett

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2003, 12:55:01 AM »

i like incense.  anything but patchouli.

andy_p.

• Day Hiker
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2003, 02:39:06 PM »

I've read also that there is a cave on the trail to Pinnacle Point.  Do any of you all know anything about this?

Thumper

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2003, 11:04:02 PM »

Okay, I'm gonna go ahead and show my ignorance: Where exactly is Pinnacle Point?

andy_p.

• Day Hiker
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2003, 11:55:56 PM »

I could be wrong, but I thought Pinnacle Point was the highest elevation in Ky.  It is located near Cumberland Gap.

Thumper

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2003, 07:21:50 AM »

Ah! Well, there's a feature called the Pinnacles near Cumberland Gap. You can get there via automobile or hike up on several trails, including the Ridge Trail. There are some nice views from several overlooks around the Pinnacles, some Civil War earthworks, and several really cool natural rock columns. There is a small cave on the Lewis Hollow Trail that you can pass on the way to the Pinnacles -- and there may be others I don't know about. I love hiking in the Cumberland Gap area, but I wouldn't call any of those trails "intense" by the definition that I've been so stubbornly defending here. But this is a hike that can give you (I think) about 1500 feet of elevation gain, the upper part of which is pretty steep. I like the little loop around the Lewis Hollow/Ridge/Gibson Gap trails at CG, and there's a campsite available at the top near Gibson Gap (not to mention a developed camping area at the bottom).

The highest point in Kentucky is Black Mountain, which is right on the Virginia border in northeast Harlan County. Unfortunately (for a number of reasons), it's on private land owned by the Penn Virginia Coal Company. You can go there, but since the coal company claims it's dangerous, you have to sign a release and agree to stay on the little access road up to the summit. I believe that you also have to agree to get out by dark. It's a walk of somewhat less than three miles, very tame, and there's nothing much to see once you get there. All things considered, it's much more fun to go to Kingdom Come State Park and look at Black Mountain. Most people who summit Black Mountain do so because they just want to say they've done so, but there are enough of them that you can actually get the release form online.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Privacy Policy