Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Grand Tour, Please  (Read 6747 times)

RWillieK

• Thru Hiker
Re: The Grand Tour, Please
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2003, 02:17:37 PM »

A few years ago I hiked several miles out from the creek near Auxier ridge - spent several hours heading out in one direction.  I found some cool rock shelters, and scrambled up into them.

I thought nobody had been up there in quite some time.......then I found a toilet seat with lid!  why the hell would someone carry that all the way out there!!  The only thing I could think of was that area was close to a road or something I had not seen, and they had carried it in a different way than I came in.

I carried it out, and deposited it in the garbage can at Tunnel Ridge Road.

Two months later I swear I found the SAME toilet seat near the same creek while I was hiking out to Courthouse Rock!

Robbie
Five out of four people have trouble with fractions.

discojett

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2003, 03:09:14 PM »

I've found a mattress, lots of broken bottles, and more cans of Dinty Moore than I care to count.  All of this in what were seemingly "remote" shelters, way off trail.  Amazing.

What pissed me off the most was when some asshole decided to take a shit in a very cool and relatively pristine cave down near Chimney Top creek.  The cave has an undeground waterfall, blind crayfish and salamanders, and of course bats.  This Motherf**ker dropped anchor right next to the waterfall, and left the TP as a gift.  Redneck.

Steve

• Thru Hiker
  • You got that right!
    • Off the Grid and On the Map
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2003, 06:54:19 PM »

At least they had taste, I mean if it was Lite rather than High Life I'd be even more disgusted.

I like to think that all that 'old' trash way out in the middle of nowhere in the lower Gorge is from the days when that area was clear cut and it wasn't quite as difficult to access.  Less rhodo and briars back then.  That or a tornado blew it way back in that rockshelter.
There is nothing clean about clean coal.

Thumper

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2003, 07:03:37 PM »

I'm always amazed when I'm bushwhacking in the middle of nowhere in what I think of as pristine forest and come across something like a rusting 1940 Ford! I had that experience around Stone Mountain in Virginia last spring. Then, I learned that the whole area where I'd been wondering around had once been criss-crossed by roads and pretty heavily settled. It's cool how the forest replenishes itself if left alone long enough.

quietone

• Over Nighter
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2003, 10:16:33 PM »

I think it's neat to be miles from anyone or anything and find old foundations of houses. Time and the trees just swallow it all up . Very cool.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2003, 10:17:12 PM by quietone »
Knowing is not enough,We must apply. Willing is not enough, We must do.  Bruce Lee.

bleachman

• Day Hiker
  • I Love KY!
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2003, 06:25:04 AM »

I've been in that cave many times.It goes back pretty far if your willing to do some squeezing.I was hoping not many people knew about it,but I have seen bootprints in it from time to time.

JB

• Thru Hiker
  • proselytizing since 1972
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2003, 12:30:41 PM »

bleachman, I doubt too many people know about it, and I definitely won't be giving any more hints.
luck is where preparation meets opportunity

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
  • Enjoying my little wide world
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2003, 01:29:07 PM »

That toilet seat bit is hilarious Robbie.  ooohhh which reminds me of something......

Okay, feel much better now, anyway, hey DiscoJett, there is a neat foundation of a house on the right side of the White Oak Trail in Mammoth Cave NP.  Its actually about the most interesting part of that trail past the cave, until you get to the end of the ridge.....
erchomai kurios lesous...

wornoutboots

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2003, 02:06:54 PM »

Theres a neat foundation and an old truck I came accross in the BSF.  Went into a section called No Business, hiked in through the way of crossing Big Island, that was quite a stream crossing.  But right on the other side was an old 1930's truck and a little bit further an old house. I just scratched my head and wondered how in the heck could you get that truck down there.  Amazing
take a little time to watch the trees dance with the wind.....then join in the dance

js

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2003, 12:48:35 AM »

Yeah, its amazing what some folks will drag miles back in the woods with them, just to leave it behind.  I've found some interesting things, but never anything as odd as a toilet seat.  Not to mention twice.  
See, I told you I could be entirely wrong...

bleachman

• Day Hiker
  • I Love KY!
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2003, 08:49:43 PM »

JB,there are two waterfalls in that cave.there is also two way's to get in.I really love to go in that cave it is free from garbage and 20th century human carvings.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Privacy Policy