Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Camp Site near the River  (Read 5497 times)

Paddelin_Fool

• Over Nighter
Camp Site near the River
« on: March 11, 2003, 01:21:23 PM »

Hey guys & dolls,
I am going to have the chance to get out this weekend and we're headed to RRG. Most of my trips have been spent in the Clifty area. I was hoping to camp this weekend down on the river. I need a somewhat easy to moderate trail being our first time out this year and my wife will be joining me. Suggestions????
King of the Night Time World

timbros

• KY Junkie
  • mmmmmmmmmmm Hiking.......
    • I like the Pine Mountain Trail
Re: Camp Site near the River
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2003, 04:01:16 PM »

Douglass Trail is unofficial but has nice spots.  Just keep in mind that not too hard and by the river means you will have others camping near you.
I can't say I've ever been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel  Boone

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
  • Enjoying my little wide world
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2003, 04:29:29 PM »

Awww, shucks I thought you meant the RIVER, but you mean the river.  I bet the Upper Red would be nice right now.  I guess it depends on if your tent floats or not though....
erchomai kurios lesous...

RWillieK

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2003, 01:44:47 AM »

There are a couple of really nice places on the way from Koomer Campround, to Buck Trail......it was a pretty nice trail, and the areas around the river were majestic...

Robbie
Five out of four people have trouble with fractions.

Paddelin_Fool

• Over Nighter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2003, 10:25:39 AM »

Timbros,
 where is the Douglass?

RWillieK

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2003, 12:19:47 PM »

The Trail I was speaking of is Koomer Ridge Trail, or on the Shelotwee/Rough trails.   I wish I could remember how far in the river was though....The loop there makes a nice hike, but there are a few tough spots on it.

Robbie
Five out of four people have trouble with fractions.

Paddelin_Fool

• Over Nighter
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2003, 12:50:49 PM »

thanks robbie,
  I am familiar with the Koomer ridge trail. Thanks for the info.
Chris

timbros

• KY Junkie
  • mmmmmmmmmmm Hiking.......
    • I like the Pine Mountain Trail
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2003, 05:48:38 PM »

Douglass Trail is an onofficial trail at the Third Bridge on 715.  That would be the concrete bridge on 715 over the Red River.  The trail follows along the river with several flat spots for camping, but it is very popular.  Of course the further you go up river, the less people there will be.  That's also where Moonshiner's arch is.
I can't say I've ever been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel  Boone

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2003, 05:49:47 PM »

Forget the arch, where's the moonshine?

Trekker_Forrest

• Thru Hiker
    • Outpost
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2003, 12:39:16 AM »

Paddlin Fool :

╩ ╩ Park at Parched Corn Overlook. Cross the road and hike down the trail to Swift Camp Creek. There aren't going to be very many people in the Gorge this weekend, so you have two choices.

╩ ╩ ╩l. ╩The trail is going to drop suddenly down into a little culdesac before climbing immediately back up, descending six stone steps and heading south along the water. ╩Don't drop into the culdesac. Instead, go off to the left (downcreek) for 50 feet. You will be on a bench about three feet above the water but right next to it. ╩It is a fine campsite when trail traffic is low.

╩ 2. ╩Follow the trail through the culdesac and the stairs and head south along the creek. ╩Study the other side. ╩Just east of the creek is a beautiful wide bench running off and on for about two miles. You have to wade the chilly creek to get there, but since nobody else is likely to do that, you will have guaranteed privacy. ╩There is plenty of downed wood for firewood, good fishing, obviously plenty of water, and deep forest. ╩If you go right now you probably won't have to deal with the bear, but you still might want to hang your food in case they're waking up early.

The Forest Service keeps trying to call this The Clifty Wilderness or The Upper Gorge or The East Side, but locals have always called it The Calaboose Country or just The Calaboose. The big ridge just east of you is Calaboose Ridge and if you keep heading east or north you'll be in trailless forest. If you climb the ridge, then turn south, you'll hit trails and a onetime road now gradually fading away. There was a village with church, cemetery, school and store but the church, school and store are long abandoned and only a few isolated homes remain in use. The road comes out in Wolf County. The Wolfinbarger and Potter families were strong here. A few old coots are still subsisting by selling berry wines, ginseng, hides and carvings. You can while away a sunny afternoon sitting on the porch of the old store letting them tell you stories about olden time. One of those guys actually worked during the final days of the logging down on Swift Camp Creek and he can tell you about splash dams and riding the logs.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2003, 12:53:16 AM by Trekker_Forrest »
Make America Green Again. Vote Trekker Forrest for President 2020.

Paddelin_Fool

• Over Nighter
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2003, 11:39:39 AM »

Trekker,
this sounds like what I am looking for:

╩ ╩ ╩l. ╩The trail is going to drop suddenly down into a little culdesac before climbing immediately back up, descending six stone steps and heading south along the water. ╩Don't drop into the culdesac. Instead, go off to the left (downcreek) for 50 feet. You will be on a bench about three feet above the water but right next to it. ╩It is a fine campsite when trail traffic is low.  

Can you tell me how far of a hike from the parking area?
Like I said earlier I will have my wife and an 8 yr old and 11 yr old with me. (hoping to broaden their horizons past the PS2).

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2003, 12:59:49 PM »

PS2!  Man are you in the stone age!  All the folks here have IBM 300GLs!

... oops wrong message board :)

Trekker_Forrest

• Thru Hiker
    • Outpost
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2003, 12:12:23 AM »

About two miles. Hiking in is easy. You start out across a broad plateau for a mile, then descend gradually for another mile to Swift Camp Creek. As of last October, we had all the downed trees cleared or cut through, so unless the winter brought a bunch more down the trail should be clear.

Coming back out, of course, you start with that mile long uphill.

My daughter's nine and she's been hiking this trail a couple of times a year since she could walk.  
Make America Green Again. Vote Trekker Forrest for President 2020.

wornoutboots

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2003, 02:34:17 PM »

Are you guys talking about hiking down at Swift Creek starting under the old iron camping sign?  I have only been back there one night as a bale out until the morning sun came up and we then moved on.  It this trail which I thought was a truck trail a nice place to hike? I do recall seeing many, many vehicles down there.
And how far does this trail go?

Thanks
take a little time to watch the trees dance with the wind.....then join in the dance

Arthur

• KYWilderness Admin
  • Thru Hiker
  • Get out!
    • Kywilderness.com
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2003, 03:42:26 PM »

wrong place,  thier talking about starting at swiftcamp creek trailhead.  Your talking about the ole swift camp campground.
What a time we had; splashed through bogs, ate like hogs, slept like logs  -- Holling Gustaf Vincoeur
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Privacy Policy