Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gorge today (3/4)  (Read 2002 times)

O.A.R.

• Day Hiker
  • Wesley Willis baby
Gorge today (3/4)
« on: March 04, 2003, 08:27:29 PM »

I went down to the Gorge today and hiked auxier ridge down to courthouse rock.  The weather was awesome and the trails were fairly dry.  Only problem was all the trees down.  I assume this is from the ice storm, in Ohio we got mainly snow.  I saw rangers out in full force with chainsaws, it was an interesting day to say the least!

O.A.R.

js

• Thru Hiker
Re: Gorge today (3/4)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2003, 08:34:20 PM »

I was wondering what kind of shape the Gorge is in now.  I would imagine that there are a lot of pine trees that fell, seeing as how many of them suffered from that blight last summer.  
See, I told you I could be entirely wrong...

Steve

• Thru Hiker
  • You got that right!
    • Off the Grid and On the Map
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2003, 02:53:54 AM »

Interesting.  I thought that the ice only hit central KY.  Maybe the higher ridges down there got hit too.  We were out there on Sunday stomping around in the Big Amos drainage and hardly noticed any damage from ice.
There is nothing clean about clean coal.

RWillieK

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2003, 10:14:12 AM »

I saw a quick peice on the news here in Lex-Vegas about the damage in the gorge.  They said it could effect the gorge for up to 65 years....thats how long it would take the trees to grow back to their original shape and health.  They showed a few parts of the woodlands.....it looked pretty darn bad.  They said some parts were worse than others, but they had crews out all over the place.  

If anyone is interested in volunteering, there is a group who uses Yahoo Groups to organize meetings etc.  RRGTC is the group namd (Red River Gorge Trail Crew).

Robbie
Five out of four people have trouble with fractions.

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
  • Enjoying my little wide world
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2003, 02:40:12 PM »

At least its good to know that it was nature tearin itself up and not somebody choppin down trees in the Gorge.... :)

Well if you think of it in that light it won't take 10s of years to grow back to the way they should be, they are the way they should be right now.... hehe
« Last Edit: March 06, 2003, 02:41:15 PM by Cliftyman »
erchomai kurios lesous...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy