Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ice Ice Baby  (Read 3032 times)

JB

• Thru Hiker
  • proselytizing since 1972
Ice Ice Baby
« on: January 21, 2003, 12:06:45 AM »

I spent the day hiking and taking pictures at Rock Bridge and Creation Falls. When I pulled in, there was no one at the trailhead, and I spent well over 2 hours in complete solitude along the trail down (stupid knee), and hanging out around the arch and waterfalls. On the way out I passed several people heading in. Swift Camp was fairly iced up and I saw where people had been walking accross the ice over the weekend. With todays warmth it was soft, and creation falls was extra nice rimmed with ice. I took some pics with my digital that i'll post. I also stopped by the little waterfall along 715 and the ice-cone had fallen... it was still great. The girls at Torrent said the cone was at about 20 feet yesterday... with the cold temps forecasted for the week, I'd imagine the torrent cone will be nearly 30 feet by the weekend. I'll definitely be heading back that way!!

« Last Edit: January 21, 2003, 12:10:33 AM by JB »
luck is where preparation meets opportunity

js

• Thru Hiker
Re: Ice Ice Baby
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2003, 01:21:03 AM »

GREAT pics, JB!  Definitely one of my favorite spots in the Gorge during the winter.  

God, I love winter.  I wish it'd never end.  
See, I told you I could be entirely wrong...

brownsr2

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2003, 10:31:41 AM »

Sweet pictures!

timbros

• KY Junkie
  • mmmmmmmmmmm Hiking.......
    • I like the Pine Mountain Trail
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2003, 11:33:06 AM »

Nice Pics JB.....Wish I was there.
I can't say I've ever been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel  Boone

treehugger

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2003, 01:43:37 PM »

Those are great pictures!! I'm jealous!!
i like trees and water. and bugs. and beer. and rocks. and you.

Thumper

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2003, 03:57:07 PM »

Wow! Those are great pics!

I'll have to revisit the RRG again before it gets too warm. We stopped at the Rock Bridge Trail last summer on the way back from Lexington ... thought a peaceful little leg-stretcher might be just what the doctor ordered. Then, we saw at least 100 people on that itty bitty trail, a condition that makes for anything but a peaceful little leg-stretcher. Kinda turned me off the Gorge altogether. But, you've proven that it is both beautiful and uncrowded this time of year.

JB

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2003, 09:01:52 PM »

Yeah, if you wanna enjoy the gorge there is a learning curve as to when to go where... What to avoid on every weekend, where to avoid during peak color season, when not to do the loop, but visit the areas out 9a and Tunnel Ridge.

Basically, you can hit the gorge anytime if you're willing to go off-trail, but the sites that everybody wants to see (Rock Bridge, Chimney Top, Grays Arch, Sky Bridge, Auxier Ridge, Indian Staircase, Cloudsplitter, and Double Arch) are almost always going to have people on them.

Disco hates crowds more than most, and he spent many days exploring the trailless rhodo jungles, and saw some things just as cool as any of the "destinations".

wornoutboots

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2003, 11:27:58 PM »

Saweeet PIX  JB!  That pic of Rock Bridge could win an award somewhere.  What camera did you take them with?  

Did you guys know that history says that a family used to live across Rock Bridge and the mans jobs was to keep the river clear for floatin logs. Awesome place to live!!  And Rock Bridge is the only arch that has ever been dynamited in the gorge

Peace out
take a little time to watch the trees dance with the wind.....then join in the dance

JB

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2003, 01:14:05 AM »

Thanks ya'll!

I shot those with my Olympus Camedia 3.2mp digital camera. I also shot nearly a whole roll of slides. I can't wait to see them, but I just got some slides back from my four corners trip, and I think I have a grain of sand stuck to my shutter or something because a lot of my pics have a big black scratch accross them.. from 4 different rolls of film too. bummer.

It was so cool to just sit there and watch the water churn up under the ice and listen to ice falling. I was totally alone and though the sound of huge ice formations breaking loose and falling all over the swift camp drainage was somewhat erie at first, it was also totally peaceful and beautiful. The natural world is so damn cool. ya know?

wornoutboots

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2003, 02:40:12 PM »

I can relate.  I love heading into the woods just after an ice storm  maybe not a better time for photo ops.  Then during the thaw, noises everywhere.  Awesome.

GO BLUE
take a little time to watch the trees dance with the wind.....then join in the dance

Paddelin_Fool

• Over Nighter
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2003, 08:41:09 PM »

nice pics!
King of the Night Time World

discojett

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2003, 09:41:04 PM »

Nice JB!  I miss the Gorge in winter for sure.

And your right, I do hate crowds.  Those travels took me to some of the coolest rock shelters, ice falls, arches and snake bites in the Red River Gorge.  I still have some places marked on my maps that I can't wait to get to!!
Hints:  Wolfpen, Laurel Fork, and of course, Sal Branch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy