Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Am I thinking wrong or....  (Read 3279 times)

Cliftyman

• KY Junkie
  • Enjoying my little wide world
Am I thinking wrong or....
« on: January 09, 2003, 07:07:42 PM »

Would this be a great time to go to the Gorge?  A very mild winter and a regular winter up North.  The buckeyes think its cold (taking for granted every place is as cold as them) so they don't go to the Gorge......

Is that how it works or is the Gorge crowded in this mild weather?
erchomai kurios lesous...

laurel-hardinguy

• Day Hiker
Re: Am I thinking wrong or....
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2003, 09:45:22 PM »

The last few times I've gone to the gorge have been during the late fall-early spring period.  I  have found this to be the most enjoyable, crowds are fewer...much more quiet and serene.  Usually around college spring break (mid march) there is a bigger crowd.  The only time I wont visit the gorge is during July-August.  I have bad memories of the deerfly bites! :-[

RWillieK

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2003, 10:41:31 PM »

I wanna go!!! Now!!!!  <cursing swollen ankle  :-[ >

Robbie

Five out of four people have trouble with fractions.

js

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2003, 12:12:09 AM »

Actually this weekend will be a fine time to go, because it's supposed to be colder than Frosty's balls.  I'm planning on going.  Anybody else?
See, I told you I could be entirely wrong...

cincyhiker

• Day Hiker
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2003, 10:01:57 AM »

There are definitely more winter visitors than 10-15 years ago. Back then it was rare to see a car at ANY trailhead lots.
Last winter, with 10+ inches of snow on two successive nights, my son and I ran into no fewer than 12 people on Sheltowee Trace between Rough Trail junction and the footbridge over the river.

wornoutboots

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2003, 02:15:10 PM »

js528, I'm not sure how cold Frosty's ball are,  but I wish I could go.  I was hoping to go next weekend anyone in?
take a little time to watch the trees dance with the wind.....then join in the dance

laurel-hardinguy

• Day Hiker
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2003, 03:17:45 PM »

I have a 4 days off for next weekend (fri-mon).  I would love to do something on friday into saturday..maybe sunday.  anybody interested...?

gdtrfb

• Back Packer
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2003, 03:32:22 PM »

well, i believe this would be a great time to hit the gorge or if you really want some privacy int the backcountry hit big south!!! i have been trying to get out into the woods but things just keep coming up that won't allow me too!   >:(

enjoy your time alone in the woods!!!
Someday, maybe, when I am a man and others have taught me the best that they can;  they'll sell me a suit, cut off my hair and send me to work in tall buildings.

john hartford

js

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2003, 07:26:06 PM »

js528, I'm not sure how cold Frosty's ball are

I'm not sure how cold they are either, I just know that gets me in trouble at work when I say it.  

JB

• Thru Hiker
  • proselytizing since 1972
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2003, 04:26:59 PM »

The term "colder than frosty's balls" was popularized (mildly) around the bay area in 1957 and caught on in a few other areas as well.

The term originated in a research station in New Mexico by the unfortunately named Dr. Frost E. Peters who by means of government grants, was stationed there doing supercooling experimentation in order to hopefully find a way to keep nuclear reactors cooler with minimal energy expenditure.  Frost set up a geothermic pumping station on a hillside in remote New Mexico (somewhere outside Alamogordo). He built three large round holding tanks on the mountain, where he manipulated a combination of cool water from an underground tank, liquid nitrogen, and surprisingly, marshmallow cream, in a series of experiements.

These experiments were going quite badly, and the locals found the tanks or as they called them, "balls" on the mountain to be city eyesores. They petitioned the city to make Dr. Peters to remove the tanks.

Dr. Frost, under pressure from both the government and the city, kept working, trying more and more radical approaches. He finally neared success, but even the 100 degree outside heat was not enough to keep all three containers from freezing up, and the pumping mechanism jammed, causing pressure buildup in the underground tank.

On the evening of July 7th, 1957, while the sky promised a summer thunderstorm, the underground tank ruptured and the three round frozen tanks when hurtling skyward into the storm.  Locals said they thought they were going to see another fireworks display when they heard the noise.  Upon reaching the thunderhead, the three tanks ruptured, spilling millions of gallons of Dr. Peter's supercooled concotion into the atmosphere.

The following morning, local children awoke to over 15 inches of snow on the ground covering a 2000 acre area in rural New Mexico. The story made headlines, and influenced Bay area beatnicks to take up using the term "Colder than Frost E,'s balls".

So, technically, you shouldn't get in trouble for using this term at work. People are so just so sick sometimes.
luck is where preparation meets opportunity

keith

• KYWilderness Admin
  • KY Junkie
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2003, 05:35:06 PM »

And I thought I had too much free time...
"you can't make cherry blossoms by tearing off petals
to plant only spring does that"
Ikkyu (1394-1481)

brownsr2

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2003, 06:18:38 PM »

Wow.  Hat's off to you JB.  That was impressive.

JB

• Thru Hiker
  • proselytizing since 1972
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2003, 06:29:22 PM »

Yeah, I've decided to start staying in my office for lunch break...  scary.
luck is where preparation meets opportunity

js

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2003, 06:31:41 PM »

I bow to you, JB.   :)

Thumper

• Thru Hiker
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2003, 07:14:46 PM »

Amazing!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Privacy Policy